Morrissey posters banned from Merseyrail

stowie

Legendary Member
Ah Morrissey. Self-obsessed moron. And the Smiths were shoot. I remember a friend excitedly playing one of their records and me thinking "this is awful".

yello

Legendary Member
It's an interesting question innit? Whatever one thinks of Morrissey or The Smiths. I'd like to think people can separate the music from the man, and in fairness most probably can, and I'm pretty sure Morrissey isn't the only musician with (IMO) repugnant views. But whatever, banning his posters, refusing to sell his records... for me, it doesn't rate up there alongside the world's major injustices whichever way you frame it.

So, in short, Morrissey - a gobby, contrary, opinionated provocateur that can sing a bit (albeit with faded glory) and The Smiths remain one of my favourite ever bands.

OP
Dec66

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
It's an interesting question innit? Whatever one thinks of Morrissey or The Smiths. I'd like to think people can separate the music from the man, and in fairness most probably can, and I'm pretty sure Morrissey isn't the only musician with (IMO) repugnant views. But whatever, banning his posters, refusing to sell his records... for me, it doesn't rate up there alongside the world's major injustices whichever way you frame it.

So, in short, Morrissey - a gobby, contrary, opinionated provocateur that can sing a bit (albeit with faded glory) and The Smiths remain one of my favourite ever bands.
He can hold whatever views he likes, however repugnant I find them.

Problem is, lots of his traditional fan base also find his views abhorrent.

Would you give Yaxley-Lennon money because he does a mean rendition of Der Horst Wessel Leide at his local karaoke?

Fatty should also remember that a lot of the people he's flirting with would have put him on a train to Auschwitz in another life.

Last edited:

yello

Legendary Member
He can hold whatever views he likes, however repugnant I find them.
Agreed.

Problem is, lots of his traditional fan base also find his views abhorrent.
I don't see that a problem so much as a fact. As you imply, his "traditional" fan base are now having to deal worth his, previously unknown to them, views. It presents as a dilemma for some whilst others are less equivocal. Individuals act as they see fit and as a matter of personal judgement.

Would you give Yaxley-Lennon money because he does a mean rendition of Der Horst Wessel Leide at his local karaoke?
Unlikely, even if it were a sensational rendition! As I say, as a matter of personal judgement, my opinion of the man would probably prevent me from giving him any money full stop, for anything ever.

OP
Dec66

Dec66

his, previously unknown to them, views.
"All reggae is vile"?
"Life is hard enough when you belong here"?
"England for the English"?

He's been "flirting" for a long time, and now he's being overt.

People will still cling to his coattails, no matter what he says or does. Just like they will with Nigel Farage. It's the measure of a cult.

Still, I'm chuffed that I won't have to clock his vile kite next time I go from Hunts Cross to Central.

yello

Legendary Member
@Dec66 I'd picked up on your use of "flirting" and had actually written a bit more in my earlier post... but decided to delete it.

I remembered back to a Finsbury Park concert and his 'flirting' with the far right then. He stance was confused and wrapped (quite literally!) in a warped defence of 'England' and 'English pride'. I don't know if you recall but his 'Bengali In Flairs' created a shitstorm at around the same time. This was all kind of new to fans that had followed him from The Smiths.

There's no love lost for me personally. The Smiths were excellent, Morrissey had his moments but is, as a human being, a bit of a turd. Fwiw, I read his autobiography... and thought it largely to be whining drivel.

OP
Dec66

Dec66

I don't know if you recall but his 'Bengali In Flairs' created a shitstorm at around the same time.
Bengali In Platforms, a pedant writes :smile:

I'd have had his babies once, I freely admit as a heterosexual Northern working class male. But now, I hope his next poo is a hedgehog.

Don't waste a milkshake on him, folks, a bag of pork scratchings would be more appropriate.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
The Smiths were my favourite band when I grew, they gave me friendship, happiness and a sense of belonging. Morrisey is a highly intelligent person but unfortunately has a habit of speaking **it and I can't listen to his nonsense these days.

yello

Legendary Member
Bengali In Platforms, a pedant writes :smile:
I was close ;)

I wasn't one of those who followed Morrissey after The Smiths (that's not my defence BTW!) I mean, I thought Suedehead was decent but nothing else springs to mind. He disappeared for me until 'You Are The Quarry' and disappeared again after. I really don't get the fanatical worship he gets in truth. Now and again I'll hear something of his and think 'he can carry a tune'! (in a crooner kind of a way) but nothing that makes me want to buy anything. He seems to have lost, for the most part, that lyrical whimsy that he had. I guess he's just an old racist nobber now! :smile:

Last edited:

Levo-Lon

Guru
I must remember not to travel there.. Just like always.

Whinging city...

Smiths were good, i couldn't tell you any band members names... Until now but ill forget when i hit reply

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Ah Morrissey. Self-obsessed moron. And the Smiths were shoot. I remember a friend excitedly playing one of their records and me thinking "this is awful".
As a student at the time (83-86) in Liverpool (the Old CF Mott site out near Prescot), I remember sitting in the college bar when a load of male students walked in with cut flowers hanging out of the rear of their trousers. They'd just seen the Smiths on TOTP. While the band seemed cool, always thought the lead man was a bit of a posturing idiot. His singing was truly awful, whinging, whining moaner.

OP
Dec66

Dec66

Whinging city...
Liverpool you mean?

Just be thankful it wasn't you at Hillsborough.

Thirty years of "whinging" finally got the truth out into the public domain, when the police, Murdoch's Tory media and the government insisted there was nothing to see, folks.

Call scousers "whingers" all you like. But they don't take sh*t from anyone.

And especially not pound shop fascists.

Top Bottom