Most overated cycle products

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nosherduke996

Whats the most overated cycling product that you think is a total waste of money. For me it,s my Assos bib shorts. I have had these 6 months now and i still think they are the most overated cycling product going.:wub:

yello

For me it,s my Assos bib shorts. I have had these 6 months now and i still think they are the most overated cycling product going.

That's a tad harsh. Like a lot of high end stuff, you are paying a lot for little differences. I agree Assos is over priced (for my purposes anyway) but I don't think it's overrated. IF I was someone that spent hours, day-after-day in the saddle (or a racer, where those minimal differences meant a lot) then I think I might be paying for, and appreciative of, the difference. Still, I respect your opinion!

For me, overrated is something bought on recommendation and with some expectation only for it to find its way to the back of the wardrobe, or the dusty corner of the tool shed. I've only a couple of things I can think of that fall into that category; firstly (and sadly for me, being an NZer) is a Ground Effects shirt - it really is quite ordinary and unexciting despite it's rave reviews - and, secondly, a extending tyre lever thing (can't even remember it's name!) that's no easier and more pfaff than an ordinary lever - I never reach for it.

Edit: just remembered something, a complete pile of crap and utter waste of cash; a handle bar extension thing, for putting lights etc on, Minoura swing grip I think...

OP
OP
nosherduke996

nosherduke996

Most of the top cycling products become overpriced because of the brand name. Theres a lot of products out there which would be just as good, but because they dont have a top end name then people think that the products are not up to the job.

giant man

Whats the most overated cycling product that you think is a total waste of money. For me it,s my Assos bib shorts. I have had these 6 months now and i still think they are the most overated cycling product going.:wub:
You obviously don't know quality and vfm when you see it. My 3 jackets, 2 jerseys, 2 base layers, two pairs of shorts, 2 pairs of bib knickers, 2 pairs of winter bib tights and 1 skull cap are probably the best kit I've ever bought. Assos kit is worth every penny, giving years of good wear and absolute comfort.

If you want overrated kit then buy De Marchi or Shutt VR.

OP
OP
nosherduke996

nosherduke996

You obviously don't know quality and vfm when you see it. My 3 jackets, 2 jerseys, 2 base layers, two pairs of shorts, 2 pairs of bib knickers, 2 pairs of winter bib tights and 1 skull cap are probably the best kit I've ever bought. Assos kit is worth every penny, giving years of good wear and absolute comfort.

If you want overrated kit then buy De Marchi or Shutt VR.

How can spending £ 150 plus on cycling shorts be v.f.m when i have a 3 year old pair of Gore bibshorts still going strong with no problems at all. I think they were £ 45

byegad

Legendary Member
The plastic chain cleaning gadget. Used twice, it broke on the second usage and twice was twice to many uses.

yello

How can spending £ 150 plus on cycling shorts be v.f.m

Because they're frickin' good shorts, that's why!

It depends how you value your money, what kind of riding you do and your own priorities, doesn't it? As I said, for my uses I think Assos is too expensive and I won't buy it again (unless I get a decent discount!) but I recognise the quality, performance and comfort. The Assos bibs I have are easily the best I own, no question in my mind about that. Yes, there's an element of 'paying for a brand name', that's definitely part of it, but that's not to say they're not a quality product.

Equally, I wouldn't buy an expensive car. I have no need for the luxury and performance that the higher prices undoubtedly bring, but that doesn't stop me recognising those qualities.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
Edit: just remembered something, a complete pile of crap and utter waste of cash; a handle bar extension thing, for putting lights etc on, Minoura swing grip I think...

+1 A few weeks of use and it got metal fatigue - snapped in half mid ride and my tesco torches went with it.

John

dodgy

I think the Minoura space grip thing has often been used as an example of a disappointing cycle related product, seen it on here a few times!

The only items that stand out for me were some cheap, very cheap, Aldi shorts and jackets that I bought a few years ago. The shorts are a terrible fit, a very wobbly finish around the hem, it bulges out everywhere (note - for the humourists out there, no such problem with DHB shorts). I ended up giving them to a neighbour who was running a garage sale in support of charity.

These days I tend to make few mistakes with purchases, I know what works for me and avoid most other things unless I'm feeling adventurous and even then I do my research!

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Finish Line wet lubricant. Seemed absolutely useless for what it was designed for and much more expensive than similar products that were substantially superior.

Top Bottom