Most random use of a bicycle part.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Pig

Sent a text to a friend earlier to say that I can't go out in the morning as I'm working. He texted back to say that he couldn't go anyway as the stem off his bike was part of his daughter's Halloween costume just now!

What the !!???!! How do you get from making a Halloween costume to taking bits off your bike? No idea what he's used it for, I'll let you know.

Anyone beat that?

I reckon, old handlebars could be contrived into pretty nifty antlers, perhaps, for Christmas (think: "Rudolph"). And that suggests a use for a small rearlight...

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

661-Pete said:
I reckon, old handlebars could be contrived into pretty nifty antlers.

True, but I meant things that people have actually done. He's actually used his stem on a fancy dress costume! If my wife were to say to me 'Can I take the stem off your bike to use on a fancy dress costume' the answer would not be 'yeah, sure, go ahead'! I mean good grief, you'd think that cardboard had never been invented ;0)

Ah I see. Can't think of anything really interesting in that line. I mean, superannuated toe-straps often find a use for lashing things up; old spokes tend to get used as prodding implements of some sort; I recall once seeing an old inner tube (minus the valve) used to demonstrate something in topology.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Not quite so random, but BMX pedals such as these make excellent bottle openers.
6a010535f28201970c01127900c39928a4-500wi.jpg

Attachments

• 6a010535f28201970c01127900c39928a4-500wi.jpg
    6a010535f28201970c01127900c39928a4-500wi.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 10

longers

Legendary Member
I've got a rear wheel screwed to the garden wall for a clematis to grow through/round. Not that random really but looks good.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Hover Fly said:
Father once made a wind cock using an old hub for the bearings.
One of my hobbies is making small steam engines using spokes for the piston rods.

Pictures please....

brokenbetty

Über Member
I've got a square of inner tube rubber glued to the wall beside the front door to stop the wall chipping the paint on the door. I like to think it gives the house a slightly fetish edge.

(We also have the Molly Sugden Memorial door knocker, so named because we happened to install it the day she died and because it provides almost countless double entendres. But that's not bike related.)

dav1d

When I was a kid, my sisters tricycle got broken somehow, so I used the forks which had the pedals attached to them instead of the frame! to put on an old pram (the pram was folded up but without the others bits, just the frame and wheels). I used lots of black tape. I had a working Go-Kart. Brakes were a plank of wood.:laugh:

Top Bottom