Most used rebuke

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
"Get Off the phone"
"Oy"
"Don't mind me ... I'm only a cyclist"

and various other mutterings which usually aren't heard by the person - like the woman who pulled out of her drive and forced me to brake today, but are overheard by other motorist or cyclists... who presumably then think I'm mad.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Me tonight, after repeatedly finding cars racing to get in front of me so that they could stop in the ASL box:

"That's a really nice bike you have !" (said in a genuine manner to woman whose car window is down).

Cue confused look from woman. I swear I could almost see the cogs trying to turn in her head. Then her passenger started pointing down to the road on his side, making her aware what the big red box with the painted bike in it was. Well done that man ! And with that, the lights changed and I was away before she'd even let her handbrake off. :becool:

goo_mason said:
Me tonight, after repeatedly finding cars racing to get in front of me so that they could stop in the ASL box:

"That's a really nice bike you have !" (said in a genuine manner to woman whose car window is down).

Cue confused look from woman. I swear I could almost see the cogs trying to turn in her head. Then her passenger started pointing down to the road on his side, making her aware what the big red box with the painted bike in it was. Well done that man ! And with that, the lights changed and I was away before she'd even let her handbrake off. :becool:

I remember Ben Elton (back when he was funny) having a rant suggesting that when people parked their cars in bus stops, everyone in the queue should just pile in, showing their passes… well… it was funny when he told it…. I’ll get me coat.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
TwickenhamCyclist said:
I remember Ben Elton (back when he was funny) having a rant suggesting that when people parked their cars in bus stops, everyone in the queue should just pile in, showing their passes… well… it was funny when he told it…. I’ll get me coat.

Now that's a great idea !

(I remember when Ben was funny - it was a long time ago though).

Night Train

Maker of Things
TwickenhamCyclist said:
I have been so tempted to walk over cars that are parked on the pavement or ride over ones that are parked on cycle lanes.

Usual rebuke is 'Oi! Stop tossing off and learn to drive!'

When I'm driving and get harrased, or see really dangerous driving, by truck, bus or coach drivers with the company number on the vehicle I normally say nothing to them and just phone the company, on hands free, and report them there and then giving full details.

Maz

Guru
stephenb said:
thought you were reacting to the "from this country" part of my OP. me just touchy today, dunno why.:wacko:
Ah, I see the misunderstanding now. No worries, man.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
goo_mason said:

Cue confused look from woman. I swear I could almost see the cogs trying to turn in her head. Then her passenger started pointing down to the road on his side, making her aware what the big red box with the painted bike in it was. Well done that man ! And with that, the lights changed and I was away before she'd even let her handbrake off. :blush:

Nice one Goo :wacko:

There is one bit of my commute where I quite often get cars trying to cut in front of me in a bus lane to get to the traffic light first. When I catch them at the red light (which most of the time) I like ask "So which bit of buses and cycles only is it you don't understand"...

Trillian

one of my pet hates is people who go round a roundabout passing exits while indicating left, i've nearly gone in front of people doing so both in my car and on the bike.

i can often be heard to shout "yeh, like you'd give a car the same space"
"gerrout me bloody lane" "mongtard" or "****tard"

also "you bloody twonk" as i skid into the back of a bus thats pulled out on me

also muttering "yeh, because you'd wander across the road in front of a car wouldn't you" as i nearly hit pedestrians who've just decided they're gonna walk across the road in front of me

i've had parents guide their children into the road (hand on back "its ok to cross" )in front of me lately

next pedestrain to step out in front of me is gonna end up with a bike skidding to a halt with me going "noooooooooooo" really loudly because i can't be bothered dodging them anymore

oh, i also hate people on bikes who just stop suddenly in the middle of the bike lane just at the top of a hill for no reason and no space to get round them.

Keith Oates

Janner
As I do most of my cycling in Asia comments to drivers in the English language is a bit wasted so it's generally a very loud HEY. I also shout BEEB BEEB (imitating a car horn) which very often gets noticed and raises a smile!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

leoc

OI OI in the style of tyres from spaced is my usual rebuke:biggrin: mostly just to remind people I'm there

yorkshiregoth

Master of all he surveys
As I am fairly good with languages and the fact I live in an area with a sizeable Indian and Somali community there is a pretty good chance of me getting cut up by them. I have in the past shouted in their respective language, always good to see them looking confused. Btw Mrs Goth is from Somalia before anyone comments. :biggrin:

Top Bottom