Motion in mercia - who doing it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Not me I'm afraid; I'm doing a Coast-to-Coast that Sat/Sun.

172traindriver

Legendary Member
Hi,

Anyone doing the motion in mercia?

I doubt it will be as big as the cheshire cat, after all, it is a ride around wolverhampton!

Which distance are you doing? Waiting on a couple of mates (who are messing around!!) and if we do it it will be the 50 mile ride.

As you are from the area any thoughts about the route? I have looked at it on the website.

PS I know we have only got a few days left to enter.

OP
OP
PaulSecteur

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Im doing the 50, but riding the 10 miles there and back.

Once out of Wolverhampton it should be OK, the people doing the 90 should see some better sceanery, especially around the wrekin. Though to be honest, I havent really studied the route.

I'm doing the 98 . I rode the 50 on Sunday as part of a longer training ride . Its not as bad as you may think . First few miles are a little urban but it soon goes out into the countryside . Not particularly hilly , most of the hills are longish drags As opposed to sharp inclines . The last half seemed to be very rolling .

OP
OP
PaulSecteur

PaulSecteur

Dont forget to get yer race plates on - this is tomorrow.

Its not in an area best known for sysling, so Im expecting a much higher percentage of locals than at a popular one like the cat.

Im expecting to be hearing a lot of "Bostin ride!" at the end of the day

lanternerouge

Veteran
Not me either. Thinking about the Tour of the Peaks at the end of May though http://www.kilotogo.com/index.php?option=event_detail&event_id=42
Tour of the Peak is a great event - I'm deffo doing it this year again. Be interested to hear how Motion in Mercia goes as it's a new one!

Good luck to all those doing it!

OP
OP
PaulSecteur

PaulSecteur

Quite a nice ride, I did the 54 miler, with a 10 mile commute each way, so that made it my longest sing day ride so far.

Once out of the badlands of Wolvo, there were some nice roads and decent views.

Will probably do it again next year.

172traindriver

Legendary Member
Agreed, also did the 54 some of the road surfaces near to the Aldersley Leisure Village left a lot to be desired as did the ones just after the feed station where the shorter route split off.
The climb up to Cannock chase was good and it was wonderful up there. A lad from work does a lot of mountain biking up there and I can see why. There were loads of folks on mountain bikes enjoying themselves up there also.
Very enjoyable day and happy to finish just under 3 hours. It was also very well organised.[/quote]

172traindriver

Legendary Member
Was going to do it as I live just round the corner, but am injured right now and off the bike for at least another week.

Shame as it was a good event. Hope the injuries mend soon. Had a nasty off a few weeks ago, but got back on so as to speak and feel good once more.

Top Bottom