Motivation.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rugby bloke

Veteran
Its already been mentioned but the ABC Challenge is great fun - makes you feel like you are getting out for a reason. Planning the route and discovering new rides is also part of the fun. This year I have also invested in some decent winter weather clothes and equipment, which has made a massive difference.

I think that's slightly different, for me I only cycle for pleasure, if it's not pleasurable then what's the point in doing it?

I save about 20€ a month in bus tickets and don't have to wait for the bus.

I haven't even begun to work out how much I save compared to driving a car...

If I'm honest though, I do enjoy it, but I wouldn't want to ride much further on spikes...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
[QUOTE 5524459, member: 9609"]how do they work on clear roads ?
I may of done 15 on snowy roads and 20 on clear today.

and since I use marathon pluses that are not too much fun to take on and off, would I have to invest in two new wheels as well.[/QUOTE]

They work well, if noisy. I have two types, 100 spikes per wheel on Snow Studs, so an MTB tyre with studs on the edges - grip fine, and Ice Spiker Pro - these are serious bits of kit, with 360+ spikes per tyre. Roll well enough as I set a second fastest 'tarmac' climb on them last week, but they are incredibly noisy. You have to ease off a little on tarmac when cornering as they can squirm a bit. But, Saturday's descent on a very rough bouldered bridleway which was an icy river was incredible - 100% grip - more so than the poor walkers had.

Schwalbe do a marathon winter whice is better for hybrids/wide tyred road bikes.

I went out in the ice for fun - 100% safe, and to smile to myself when walkers were astonished I was upright as they slid past.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Its already been mentioned but the ABC Challenge is great fun - makes you feel like you are getting out for a reason. Planning the route and discovering new rides is also part of the fun. This year I have also invested in some decent winter weather clothes and equipment, which has made a massive difference.

This /\ /\ times twenty hundred.

sheddy

Legendary Member
maybe find new offroad routes with an fresh MTB purchase ?

johnblack

Über Member
I find that having a couple of early in the year goals to aim for focuses me. Usually there's a trip to Flanders at the beginning of April and this year I also have a one day, 200 mile ride to do in early May, so motivation is to be ready for those. But in this kind of weather I tend to just go out on the mountain bike and enjoy myself and do more structured efforts on the wattbike.

Top Bottom