Motorbike for commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domtyler

Über Member
What would be the best kind of bike to get for a forty odd mile commute into London all year round?

I am guessing some kind of sports tourer like a Yamaha FJR1300?

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Old beemer twin pot

beancounter

I commute pretty much every day on a 1999 Honda VFR800.

Absolutely ideal for the job and it was cheap as chips too.

bc

p.s. FJR1300 is a big big bike!

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
A Honda CB 500. I get around 90 miles a gallon out of mine on commutes. They are nippy, manoeuvrable, and are quite comfy.

OP
OP
domtyler

domtyler

Über Member
Paulus said:
A Honda CB 500. I get around 90 miles a gallon out of mine on commutes. They are nippy, manoeuvrable, and are quite comfy.

Eek, no fairing? Does that not make for bit of a blustery ride? What about in rain?

Paulus

I've got a decent waterproof coat and waterproof trousers, and you don't get to much wind buffer until you get over 50 mph, on the main roads only you understand. I also have a pair of handlebar muffs for the winter they are invaluable.

Paulus

Depends on how far you have to go.

OP
OP
domtyler

domtyler

Über Member
beancounter said:
I commute pretty much every day on a 1999 Honda VFR800.

Absolutely ideal for the job and it was cheap as chips too.

bc

p.s. FJR1300 is a big big bike!

Okay so FJR may be a little too big for me then. The VFRs look like a sensible choice though. Can they take side panniers at all?

OP
OP
domtyler

domtyler

Über Member
Alcdrew said:
Whats wrong with pedal power?

Heh heh, wondered when someone would pipe up with that one! :thumbsdown:

I have been cycling to work and back for years Alcdrew, but I live and work in London, my ride is only seven miles each way. Forty five miles each way is going to be too much for me to do on a daily basis all year round, both in terms of effort and more importantly time, it would take about six hours a day given a fifteen mile per hour average! Would you like to reconsider your suggestion now? ;)

domtyler said:
Heh heh, wondered when someone would pipe up with that one! :thumbsdown:

I have been cycling to work and back for years Alcdrew, but I live and work in London, my ride is only seven miles each way. Forty five miles each way is going to be too much for me to do on a daily basis all year round, both in terms of effort and more importantly time, it would take about six hours a day given a fifteen mile per hour average! Would you like to reconsider your suggestion now? ;)

Ya big jessie! :tongue:

Alcdrew

domtyler said:
Heh heh, wondered when someone would pipe up with that one! :biggrin:

I have been cycling to work and back for years Alcdrew, but I live and work in London, my ride is only seven miles each way. Forty five miles each way is going to be too much for me to do on a daily basis all year round, both in terms of effort and more importantly time, it would take about six hours a day given a fifteen mile per hour average! Would you like to reconsider your suggestion now? :laugh:

Ya big jessie! :ohmy::biggrin:

Top Bottom