Motorist killed in Southampton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Must have done something really wrong to cause that much damage!

Can't be arsed to reply on the page (registration)

G0Rf wrote:
its only a 30mph limit down that road too​
Very true, but a collision at 30mph for two vehicles traveling at about 30mph makes the impact speed of approx. 60mph(give or take a few mph for speedometer accuracy)

WRONG! 2 vehicles at 30mph have a closing speed of 60mph but you have 2 vehicles to cause damage too, and it "shares" the 60mph worth of damage making it 30mph each, ish.

JamesAC

Must have done something really wrong to cause that much damage!

Can't be arsed to reply on the page (registration)

WRONG! 2 vehicles at 30mph have a closing speed of 60mph but you have 2 vehicles to cause damage too, and it "shares" the 60mph worth of damage making it 30mph each, ish.

But the total kinetic energy involved is four times what it would have been if just one vehicle was involved, because kinetic energy is proportional to the square of the velocity.

One car travelling at 30 mph has 1/4 ke of two cars travelling towards each other (relatively speaking)

adscrim

Veteran
Is there a crumple zone on a bus though? Would it not only be split evenly if the vehicles were identical?

JamesAC

And the car is likely to get more of it since the bus might weigh several times the car.

And whatever the rights and wrongs of the applied math, the sad fact is that one person is dead, another seriously injured, and a bus full of people has has a very shocking and unpleasant start to the day.

OP
OP
D

dand_uk

But total kinetic energy is shared between 2 vehicles.

2 times the amount of damage _overall_

I think that as the bus probably weighs about 11 times the car most of the energy is transfered into the lighter vehicle, the car.

Anyway I cant imagine the horror of witnessing or being involved in this. I wish everyone on the road would make a SAFE journey their priority rather than a FAST journey.

Cycle safe people.

Obviously a shame - r.i.p.

That photo shows the car on the wrong side of the road under the front of the bus which looks in its correct position... how on earth did that happen? No one drives at the front of an oncoming bus unless something happened to cause that kind of manouvre, such as a dog running out or heart attack etc. Maybe I am pondering too much, but the photo is tragic.

Camgreen

Obviously a shame - r.i.p.

That photo shows the car on the wrong side of the road under the front of the bus which looks in its correct position... how on earth did that happen? No one drives at the front of an oncoming bus unless something happened to cause that kind of manouvre, such as a dog running out or heart attack etc. Maybe I am pondering too much, but the photo is tragic.

Tragic indeed. Whatever the in's and out's, the bottom line is someone is missing a family member or friend this evening; someone else is having anxious moments about the life balance of another. Puts things into perspective.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
My understanding from watching South Today's report was that the driver pulled out at speed and the driver of the bus tried to swerve and brake (not an easy thing to do). Though looking at those pictures it doesnt look like it.

What the hell has happened..? Very sad.

I was only remarking the other day how drivers, riders and pedestrians in southampton are taking chances they shouldnt be taking, and I appealed for people to take a little more care in my letter to the paper, printed last week:
http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/yoursay/letters/8916862.Stay_safe_on_roads/

Top Bottom