Mountain Bike + Thin (slick?) Tires

• Thread starter Deleted member 20519
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 20519

I'm just curious about this subject. I've been riding my bike for a week now and the big, chunky off road tyres and starting to get quite annoying for a few reasons:

They're loud.
They spit mud into my face.
They have high resistance so it makes pedalling quite difficult.
They're not really for the road and I'm sure I could go quicker without them.

What would be my alternative? What are the benefits of having different tyres?

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
smoother treaded tyres will or should be quieter , and should have lower resistance which will improve comfort , speed and might even stop them spitting mud at you .

what size are your rims and what surfaces is the bike being used on

HovR

Über Member
I recently bought a pair of slick tires for the MTB when I want to use it as a road commuter (mainly during bad weather). The bike is faster, far better at cornering, throws up less road spray, and has a smoother ride than previously. The tires aren't particularly narrow (1.9 or 2.0, can't remember), but the improvement is huge.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 20519

smoother treaded tyres will or should be quieter , and should have lower resistance which will improve comfort , speed and might even stop them spitting mud at you .

what size are your rims and what surfaces is the bike being used on

The rims are 24" and the bike will be used on the road, mostly flat smooth surfaces with the occasional pothole.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
24" are normally childrens size are you sure i was expecting 26" , either way have a look at the schwable range i use a set of 26 x 1.90 city slicks on my old faithfull marin

Psyclist

Über Member
The rims are 24" and the bike will be used on the road, mostly flat smooth surfaces with the occasional pothole.

In all honesty I would sell your present bike and by a 26" wheeled MTB or maybe a used road bike.

24" will be very painful for road riding due to the small wheels. 24" (used on dirt jump bikes) is a trick bike wheel size for tricks etc.
26" MTB would be better, but as I said, I'd just sell your 24" wheeled bike and buy a used road bike. The bigger the wheels, the easier it'll be to ride. If you don;t like drop bars, get a flat bar road bike.
What bike do you own by the way?

Top Bottom