Mountain bike virgin!! Advice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

candygirl

I am looking for a mountain bike as a present for my boyfriend but as MTB virgins I need help!

While the majority will be used on roads i know he is keen to go for rides along paths but will also not be able to resist the occasional bumpy terrain and off-road if his bike can handle it..

Budget is £250 and i was looking at Claud Butler bikes - but then fell in love with the 2008 GT Outpost (mainly because of the yellow/black colours i admit ;)) but this has disc brakes and i'm not sure if it's generally considered a 'good bike' or make in the world of the know.

Will disc brakes make the bike noticably heavier and therefore more difficult on the road?

Absolutely ANY advice very welcome.. i don't want to get a rubbish one or one that's too cheap which is why i was put off the Claud Butler 'Pine Lakes' one...

Thanks!! :biggrin:

Have a look at the Dawes XC1.4 Disk, Kona Lana'l, Giant Rincon

OP
OP
C

candygirl

Thanks Spandex - they all look good i suppose, but i don't reeeally know what i'm looking for - the Kona Lana'l says that 'if it's your first Kona bike then it won't be your last' so i'm swung towards that one now...

..You see i need direction or i'll buy one based on colours or advertising slogans!

:biggrin: I would say for me If I was going for my first MTB It would be the Kona just because of the way they test them. Kona are a off shoot of Rocky Mountain which is one of the best brands in the field. Out of the three I said Kona has the best reputation on the street.

OP
OP
C

candygirl

Ok.. i like that :sad:

But one last thing in your (assumed) expert opinion: If i know that he'll love the black/yellow/silver GT Outpost soooo much more than blue/white Kona - is there THAT much difference between the 2... of course long term is all about having the best bike for the money, but initially the surprise has to please :biggrin:

You get me?

RedBike

A heavier bike is harder to pedal but a few extra grams here and there wont make a massive difference.

Wide knobbly off-road tyres will add a lot of rolling resistance compared to slick road tyres. If you're not likely to venture off-road then you will be much better off with a hybrid instead of a MTB.

Most hybrids are capable of light off-roading; but they're not as capable over the rough stuff as a MTB.
Not only will a hybrid be lighter but it will probably come with slick tyres which will roll along noticably easier / quicker on the road. (You could always fit slick tyres to a MTB?).

OP
OP
C

candygirl

I did think about hybrid or rather looked at the Claud Butler Urban Comfort bike, but i know when he's got one he'll want to be out messing about and i'd rather it not be limited to roads and nice pathways.. also, it's a present and he's pretty cool - not sure what the cool factor of a hybrid is - sorry - don't shoot! I'm just saying.... :-)

OP
OP
C

candygirl

Thanks Spandex! God only knows what you're looking at - it's mumbo jumbo to me.

I really want to follow you on that - i know it makes sense but it's just the blue and white - don't laugh, i'm only a girl :biggrin: but it looks too blingy whereas that mat black/yellow on GT one looks quietly stylish... do i need to keep telling myself that it's not a pair of shoes i'm buying or can i just buy the GT? Or can I paint the kona with nailvarnish?

:sad:

OP
OP
C

candygirl

Yeah... and you should go with the best components shouldn't you, but i'd like to know just how much better the kona is than the one with the nice paint job, so i can make a fair decision :-)

candygirl said:
Thanks Spandex! God only knows what you're looking at - it's mumbo jumbo to me.

I really want to follow you on that - i know it makes sense but it's just the blue and white - don't laugh, i'm only a girl :biggrin: but it looks too blingy whereas that mat black/yellow on GT one looks quietly stylish... do i need to keep telling myself that it's not a pair of shoes i'm buying or can i just buy the GT? Or can I paint the kona with nailvarnish?

:sad:

:blush: Ask him if you don't know what he likes! wright out a list of colour combos and ask him to number them in order he likes them?

OP
OP
C

candygirl

How about the Dawes XC1.4 you (Spandex) mentioned which is slightly black? Or what does anyone know of the Mongoose Rockadile ALX Disc which again is grey/black and not so BLING as the Kona!

I'm wondering whether he'd notice the difference that much between one that's a 5/10 for spec and one that's 8/10 for spec... i suppose it's less likely to break? lighter to ride?

candygirl said:
How about the Dawes XC1.4 you (Spandex) mentioned which is slightly black? Or what does anyone know of the Mongoose Rockadile ALX Disc which again is grey/black and not so BLING as the Kona!

I'm wondering whether he'd notice the difference that much between one that's a 5/10 for spec and one that's 8/10 for spec... i suppose it's less likely to break? lighter to ride?

Mongoose Er no they started out making BMX's and that is what they know not MTB's. The Kona is still better then the Dawes buy the same as the GT. Just ask him about the colours.

Top Bottom