moving bars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jayce

Went out on the bike yesterday i went over a bump and a hell of a noise came from the bike i stopped and checked it over then seen that the bars had moved downwards came home and the tourque was right but the bars a moving and making a loud clicking noise when they move.Should i tighten them some more or get new bars the stem is new and the bars a only 6 months old

RedBike

Take them off and make sure everything is clean then tighten them back up.

If they still wont stay in place take the stem back to where ever you brought it from and get one that is capable of holding the bars in place.

jpembroke

Had this with a 3T stem on a road bike once: it slipped no matter how much I tightened it. In the end I replaced the stem and had no more problems. Quite scary when it happened though. I thought the headtube had cracked.

OP
OP
J

jayce

I went out yesterday and all was fine took the bars off cleaned them and tightened them to 9 nm .Thought the bike snapped in half when i heard the noise first but hey all done

jpembroke

Out of interest, what stem is it? When I experienced this problem I was using a 3T bar and stem set. I was a bit shocked to discover the stem (a 2 bolt stem) wouldn't clamp the bar tight enough. Changed to a 4 bolt stem and no more problem.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My bars rotated last saturday - hit a massive pot hole, bang... bars moved round by a few degrees. At least the wheels remained true and I didn't get a snake bite !

tyred

Legendary Member
fossyant said:
My bars rotated last saturday - hit a massive pot hole, bang... bars moved round by a few degrees. At least the wheels remained true and I didn't get a snake bite !

That has happened to me on two different bikes. A horrible sensation.

Top Bottom