Moving the position of combined brake/gear levers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Plax

Guru
My right hand side Shimano brake and gear lever was knocked earlier this year. Thanks to Andy_wrx's help in an earler thread I have successfully replaced the broken name plate and found out the levers are ST-R600's.

Anyway, in the knock the position of the lever was pushed inwards slightly. Is there anyway to move this back into alignment so to speak? I have pulled the hoods back to have a quick look and don't want to start playing without knowing exactly what I'm doing. I've tried googling to no avail.

Cheers

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
OK, this is quite straightforward. On the inside of the lever, there's a little recess that dissappears under the rubber hood - roughly where your thumbs go when you're riding. Go in there with a 5 mm allen key, and that'll let you loosen the lever a bit. Twist it back and re-tighten the bolt. Simples.
This page shows you how.

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
TheDoctor said:
OK, this is quite straightforward. On the inside of the lever, there's a little recess that dissappears under the rubber hood - roughly where your thumbs go when you're riding. Go in there with a 5 mm allen key, and that'll let you loosen the lever a bit. Twist it back and re-tighten the bolt. Simples.
This page shows you how.

Cheers me dear! :ohmy:

bonj2

Plax said:
My right hand side Shimano brake and gear lever was knocked earlier this year. Thanks to Andy_wrx's help in an earler thread I have successfully replaced the broken name plate and found out the levers are ST-R600's.

Anyway, in the knock the position of the lever was pushed inwards slightly. Is there anyway to move this back into alignment so to speak? I have pulled the hoods back to have a quick look and don't want to start playing without knowing exactly what I'm doing. I've tried googling to no avail.

Cheers

Yes.

Inside of the lever ?

TheDoctor's link does show it, under heading 'Installation to the handlebar'

There's a jubilee-clip type arrangement holding the shifter onto the bars.

On the outside of the lever, there should be a diagonal groove moulded into the plastic and disappearing under the rubber hood.

Stuff the allen key down the groove and fish about a bit until it slots into the nut, loosen, twist whole thing to desired position, re-tighten.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Grab hold of the lever in one had, and put your hand on the bars, or your foot by the front wheel to stop that twisting and just pull it back into alignment.
That's what I've done before anyway, or hold the bars with one hand and whack it with the palm of the other hand, something I've done as I've been going along.
Perfectly safe.

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Mmmm, Joe sounds like a bit wheel bendy to me.

Anyways, I was on a roll yesterday and changed the bar tape while I was at it. So I moved the lever like TheDoctor said at the same time and now everything looks lovely again. Impressed with myself so I am, never changed bar tape before and I managed it without incident.

PS - no, I haven't forgotten about the carrot cake!

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
andy_wrx said:
Inside of the lever ?

TheDoctor's link does show it, under heading 'Installation to the handlebar'

There's a jubilee-clip type arrangement holding the shifter onto the bars.

On the outside of the lever, there should be a diagonal groove moulded into the plastic and disappearing under the rubber hood.

Stuff the allen key down the groove and fish about a bit until it slots into the nut, loosen, twist whole thing to desired position, re-tighten.

Quite correct, Andy. I didn't have the bike in front of me (My bike, I mean, not Plax's which is over 200 miles away) and I mis-read the drawing :rolleyes:

S'alright. I jumped in in case you'd confused Plax, but sounds like he/she has it all well in hand.

Although...what sort of Doctor are you ?
As long as you're not some sort of surgeon, who operates following diagrams and ends-up cutting the wrong leg off... :wacko:

:evil::laugh::biggrin:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I'm the sort of Doctor who has a worrying fondness for BBC science fiction.
And I'd love to own a Tardis.
Oh, and Plax is of the feminine persuasion. Or she was last time I met her, anyway!

Top Bottom