MP's comms team resigns in spectacular fashion

Discussion in 'News and Current Affairs' started by winjim, 23 Jul 2019.

1. winjim

winjim Iron pony

I wonder how long these tweets wil stay up...

I mean I rarely use emojis but :laugh:

2. perplexed

perplexed Guru

Just spotted the same via Steve Bullock but you beat me to it...

Imagine if Johnson's media people went rogue...

O'Mara was on Look North the other night - he apparently intends to stand again come a GE. Given that he's my MP, I paid attention. Sheffield Hallam will almost certainly swing back to the Lib Dems. It was Lib Dem with Clegg, went to Labour with O'Mara and then by default to Independent after he was suspended by Labour.

The Lib Dems won by a large margin in the council elections this year, and Labour trailed in a poor fourth. So I reckon Sheffield Hallam is almost a dead cert for the Lib Dems given that this constituency voted 66% Remain in 2016.

winjim likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    winjim

winjim Iron pony

Gareth Arnold's twitter is pure gold right now.

perplexed likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    winjim

winjim Iron pony

Yeah I was gonna tag you in case you hadn't seen it. Arnold is claiming O'Mara drank a bottle of vodka prior to his Look North appearance. I didn't see it.

Lib Dems have got to be a shoo in for the seat. Have you met Laura Gordon? She's really nice, came and introduced herself when she was selected. I think we can put all that nasty Clegg business behind us...

perplexed likes this.
  5. perplexed

perplexed Guru

I thought the interview was a bit odd, but I perhaps put it down to personal idiosyncrasies due to his autism. No, I haven't met Laura Gordon, but I'll keep an eye out for her.

Given the Remain vote and the dismal Labour figures round here recently, I'd be amazed if Sheffield Hallam doesn't revert to LD, agreed.

6. Ian H

Ian H I am an ancient randonneur, & I stop often for tea

theclaud likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    winjim

winjim Iron pony

Rusty Nails likes this.
  8. Drago

Drago Flouncing Nobber

Happy to take the pay cheque though, weren't we?

Cycleops likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    winjim

winjim Iron pony

He's clearly decided that he's not any more.

10. Rusty Nails

Rusty Nails We remember

Lots of people have to put up with crappy employers if they want to put food on the table. Doesn't mean they are happy to do it, they just accept it until they find something else.

11. OP
    OP
    winjim

winjim Iron pony

12. KneesUp

KneesUp Veteran

I don't think Jared is an effective MP, but I do think he probably has mental health issues, and his autism may make it difficult for him. No-one expected him to win, and he doesn't seem to have much support from his local party - he was clearly unprepared and not helped - he's not a great MP, but hey, loads of them are not good MPs.

This does not reflect well on Gareth Arnold - his tweets are out of order and triumphal.

winjim likes this.
  13. Brains

Brains Guru

Last edited: 23 Jul 2019
  14. marinyork

marinyork Resting in suspended Animation

The Lib dems are likely to win the seat again.

Yes, hopefully peoples' servants' tennis partners will vote for Laura Gordon. I'm sure that if Hallam leaves Sheffield and goes into a upper middle class fantasy land bubble once again then all the city's problems will be solved, maybe even the UK's too.

15. perplexed

perplexed Guru

Apparently he's going to take time out to get well and seek the help he needs (LN a couple of days ago).

Whilst I hope he does indeed get the help he requires, it leaves Sheffield Hallam in limbo at an incredibly important time. I don't know if there is some sort of deputy who can help with his constituency work, because otherwise we have no representation in Parliament. Given that he's voted on the Remain side, we are now effectively an MP down should it come down to votes in the house, unless he's partnered with someone or there's a proxy system? The balance of power is so tight, this situation potentially goes well beyond Sheffield Hallam. I don't know. Beyond the Brexit situation, suppose there is no GE for 3 years? Hallam not having any representation, potentially for 3 years, cannot be right, no matter what sympathy for his needs we have on a human level. Short of him resigning, I don't know what happens now.

winjim likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice