Mr Thicky...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mortiroloboy

can't get music from any of the storage libraries on my HD onto a micro SD card in my phone...

I have tried to transfer music from Media Player, Nokia music manager, Sony sonic stage and my music file on the computer's 'c' drive.

Every time I either get an error message telling me the track selected is write protected, or the program doesn't offer me the facility to transfer to the 'f' drive which is the memory card connected to the 'puter via a USB card reader.

Getting really annoyed now, as I can transfer music from my Sonic Stage library to my Sony MP3 but cannot transfer music from the other music management software systems on my 'c' drive to the micro card...
Why? Can any one brighter or more 'puter literate, give me a clue?

Error message says remove write protection, I can't seem to find where I would do this from.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
have you tried bluetoothing it, if your phone and 'puter have it?

do you have a mate with a mac, who could probably get the mp3s off the player and onto the mac, then onto the sd card (will need a card reader though).

macs generally seem to bypass copy protection, other than apple's, of course.

OP
OP
M

Mortiroloboy

No BT on 'puter, only on moby, don't know any one with a Mac, does anyone actualy use them outside of companies? Bloody expensive things if you ask me. What bugs me is the fact that the Sonic stage software works, but for some reason when I try to send music to the 'f' drive which is essentially just another device like the MP3 player, it doesn't see it, and the other programs on the 'c' drive keep pinging the write protected message at me...Grrrrrrrrrrr:angry:

How did you get the music? If you rip it from CDs windows media player gives you the option to write protect it or not. IF you are using windows you can add an SD card, memory stick and I am guessing maybe your mobile if it sees it as a storage devce. YOu can then "Sync" with the storage device. I use this to save music to an SD card for the car radio/MP3 player.

f the music is write rotected there are third party progams which won't honour that but I don't know any off hand. Watch for dodgy software if you try this. Sorry, I get my MP3s from CDs so haven't encountered copy protection.

Carwash

Señor Member
Mort', what happens if you drag the files from C: to your F: drive in Explorer? Do you get an error message of some sort?

Night Train

Maker of Things
Sonic stage doesn't let you share music, which is what it thinks you are doing.
Mine won't even let me access my own music because I had to change the mother board on my desk top pc and it no longer recognises it as my own.
I now keep my music on my laptop and I never installed sonic stage on it as it imbeds and won't let you bypass it.

OP
OP
M

Mortiroloboy

Carwash said:
Mort', what happens if you drag the files from C: to your F: drive in Explorer? Do you get an error message of some sort?

Tried the old drag and drop ploy, that won't do it either, annoyingly I did once manage to transfer music from the computer to my wifes phone Micro SD but never been able to repeat the process?!

Ghost Donkey said:
How did you get the music? If you rip it from CDs windows media player gives you the option to write protect it or not. IF you are using windows you can add an SD card, memory stick and I am guessing maybe your mobile if it sees it as a storage devce. YOu can then "Sync" with the storage device. I use this to save music to an SD card for the car radio/MP3 player.

f the music is write rotected there are third party progams which won't honour that but I don't know any off hand. Watch for dodgy software if you try this. Sorry, I get my MP3s from CDs so haven't encountered copy protection.

Music has been ripped from CD's, in media player I get the sync pane open, I drag and drop, but the little red cross doesn't change to a little green tick, then I just get the error message!?

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
have you tried itunes? download and install it, then import your music into its library. you can then drag and drop files onto the sd card, as long as the pc recognises it as a writable volume.

check that the write protect tab on the sd card is set to off.

Carwash

Señor Member
User259iroloboy said:
Tried the old drag and drop ploy, that won't do it either

Yes, you've already said that. But I asked what happens when you *try*, not whether it worked or not. Do you get the same error message as when you try to sync using SonicStage? Or is it a different one? What does the message say?

It looks like the problem lies with the protected files, which is effectively what it was designed to do. If you ripped the music from cds in windows media player you will have been asked if you wanted to use copy protection the first time you ripped. The default answer is yes. If you didn't change it all the cds you have ripped will be copy protected. I don't know if you can remove the protection from music files you have already ripped with protection in media player. I can't use it at work so I can't have a look. That's one for media player help or Mr google I'm afraid if no one here knows it.

The way to test if this is the problem is to rip a cd without copy protection and try and copy that to your device. Don't spend too long on this, it's just trying to confirm where the problem lies. The setting should be in media player somewhere but I cannot run media player here to see where it is. If that works then it's time to find a way to remove the protection from your music files, find some software which ignores it or re-rip your cds without copy protection. If you cannot copy unprotected music to your device then the problem lies somewhere else.

You may be able to authorise a device with media player for copying protected media (itunes/ipods stylee) but again I've never tried this and might just be clouding the issue.

itunes (player) is very pro copy protection and the store overcharges for poor quality music (compared to rivals and cds) and video (compared to DVDs etc). Saying that I have never tried importing music to itunes, which you can do. It may be worth a try with one or two files to see. I'll second carwash's previous post about itunes thoguh.

alecstilleyedye said:

check that the write protect tab on the sd card is set to off.

That's the kind of thing I usually presume has been checked and find out hasn't after spending ages on something at work :wacko:.

Carwash

Señor Member
Ghost Donkey said:
itunes (player) is very pro copy protection

This was true in the past, but is no longer really accurate.

Ghost Donkey said:
I'll second carwash's previous post about itunes thoguh.

Don't misunderstand: I've nothing against iTunes (although I prefer not to use it myself). I just don't think it's at all relevant to this thread.

(I was also sort of teasing Alec, whose stock answer to any computer question seems to be either 'Get a Mac!' or 'Use iTunes!' instead of attempting to address the question, and regardless of whether it's actually appropriate. :ohmy:

Top Bottom