MS Word Query. URGENT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

peanut

strewth User76 your missus likes to live dangerously.
I just did a google and came up with this.
http://www.winundelete.com/?rid=google&kid=wu0901

It has a free trial version but it may be one of those annoying programs that says 'yes we have recovered the file but now you gotta pay us'

Word should automatically make a backup file periodically.

if the essential file was there complete on your hard drive yesterday then you could simply do a system restore to yesterday.
Naturally you would lose whatever you had done since the restore time.
I believe you can even choose the restore time to the nearest hour ie midnight last night.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial143.html

A

another_dave_b

I had a google, and came across this suggestion:

If the Always create backup copy option is selected, there may be a backup copy of the file.

Note To locate this option, click Options on the Tools menu, and then click the Save tab.

To find the backup copy of the file, follow these steps:
1. Locate the folder in which you last saved the missing file.
2. Search for files with the .wbk file name extension.

If you find any files that have the name "Backup of" followed by the name of the missing file, follow these steps, as appropriate for the version of Word that you are running.

Word 2007
Start Word 2007.
Click the Microsoft Office Button, and then click Open.
In the Files of type list, click All Files.
Click the backup file that you found, and then click Open.

Microsoft Word 2002 or Microsoft Office Word 2003
Start Word.
On the File menu, click Open.
Point to the arrow in the Files of type box, click All Files *.*, select the file, and then click Open.
If there is no .wbk file in the original folder, search the computer for any .wbk files. To do this, follow these steps, as appropriate for the version of Windows that you are running.

Windows Vista
Click Start
, type *.wbk in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
If the File list contains the backup file, repeat the steps in step 2 ("Search for files with the .wbk file name extension) to open the file.
If the File list does not contain the backup file, continue to Method 3.

Windows XP
Click Start, point to Search, and then click For Files or Folders.
In the Search for files or folders named box, type *.WBK.
In the Look in box, point to the arrow, and then click My Computer.
Click Search Now.

Lower down on the same page the 'Search for temporary files' option looks a possible.

peanut

yeah thats a good idea Dave. do a search for the file name on the C/ drive should find any backup files

Night Train

Maker of Things
Depending on which version of word you have you could go to recent documents and open the one with the right document name. On my word it opens and asks if I wanted that version or an earlier version.

redjedi

Über Member
It's probably too late now, but if the new Word on Vista is the same as previous versions, then just close it down and click on NO when it asks if you want to save the changes.
You should then be able to open the original file again.

But as this was posted last night, it's probably too late, so one of the options above may be best.

Word automatically creates a backup version every 5/10 whatever the autosetting iswhich is hidden. Go to the folder options and set it to see hidden files (sorry, not using windows at the mo but will boot into it when the kiddies are in bed). The auto save document will be in the same folder as the original if it is still there. It usually begins with a tilda ~ and will be largely the same name as the original. We've used this to recover a load of saved then deleted/become corrupt documents at work.

As an alternative the files are still on the hard drive after deletion until that particular section of hard drive has been overwritten. It can be recovered by data recovery software. Again we've used this at work to good effect for If the file has been saved over from a windows/word point of view that sector may still be present on the hard drive. Said software costs money and shops will do it at a cost. Hope this helps.

D'oh, didn't read the original question properly. As per the above posts Vista/office 2007 saves the auto recovery office files somewhere other than the orignal document location. We don't use vista at work but occasionally we get a student with this problem. The first time I encountere dit I had to find one autorecover file so Icould find out what file type it was and search for the others.

The autorecover files are ususally hidden file types. If you don't know this go to computer , press Alt, go to Tools, Folder Options... and then the View tab in the Folder Options window which opens. Select "Show Hidden Files and Folders" in the options list (nine down from the top on my copy of vista.

You'veprobably got this sorted now if it is sortable but whilst I'm on a role (and I finally got around to installing office 2007 on vista) the location of the auto recovery file (the one you would be searching for looking at the other posts too) office saves as a precaution is displayed as an option in word. Press the offic ebutton (top left), go to Word Options (bottom) and then "Save" on the left hand side of the Word Options window which opens. The auto recover file location is displayed.

yenrod

Its quite common for me to ask my 'partner' in work if he's saved the progs./got as copy...

When I occasionally bollox up.

;)

Top Bottom