mtb centres South-East

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

the_bing

Über Member
hey guys. who went out in the snow this weekend? all good silly fun, but i must admit the sledge was better...

anyway, does anyone know of good technical MTB centres in the southeast, preferably north of london. I'm based in Hertford and my mate has just got a MTB and he wants to hone his technical skills, but around me there just seems to be easy bridleways and forest tracks (unless i'm looking in the wrong place...)

cheers

subaqua

What’s the point
High beach (beech) epping forest. about 10 mins in the car for you.

lukesdad

Aston Hill Bucks has technical stuffin abundance. black XC route and downhill, used to need a permit as a club owned it when i used to race there not sure what the situation is now ? Swinley forest to the west just off M3 or M4 not as technical but plenty of single track.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
hey guys. who went out in the snow this weekend? all good silly fun, but i must admit the sledge was better...

cheers
Me, so far as I could tell one other person whose tyres tracks I followed but never saw. Absolutely knackering, to the extent I had a brain fart and got lost in my own back yard, and I was drenched in sweat when I got back to watch the rugby.
Horsham-20120205-00288.jpg

Horsham-20120205-00285.jpg

OP
OP
the_bing

the_bing

Über Member
yeah, i've heard about high beech. my mate has already been there last summer but he said it wasn't that technical (i was in australia so i can't verify this); just mainly forest tracks and fire roads sort of stuff. Now, i'm hoping i'll get some replies saying he wasn't riding in the right places. in which case, where's the best technical places to go in high beech?

aston hill sounds good (near where my bro lives i think) so i'm gonna look into that further...

thing is, we both want the technical stuff, not necessarily fast (we've got road bikes for that) but tricky stuff.

thanks for your input guys

OP
OP
the_bing

the_bing

Über Member
i suppose for 'technical', read 'singletrack', with drop-offs, maybe small jumps. fun stuff. something which my mate (mtb novice) can gain proper skills & confidence off road with, plus a healthy possibility of crashing. i've been mtbing for about 18 years now, mainly in north wales so singletrack, big rocks, drop-offs, hitting trees is all par for the course with me and he wants to get involved too.

i've checked out the aston hill website; that looks well good and it's not too far. Looks like a good day out...

lukesdad

i suppose for 'technical', read 'singletrack', with drop-offs, maybe small jumps. fun stuff. something which my mate (mtb novice) can gain proper skills & confidence off road with, plus a healthy possibility of crashing. i've been mtbing for about 18 years now, mainly in north wales so singletrack, big rocks, drop-offs, hitting trees is all par for the course with me and he wants to get involved too.

i've checked out the aston hill website; that looks well good and it's not too far. Looks like a good day out...
Probably not what you are used to at Aston, although your mate should enjoy it. The downhill runs are quite good, and the xc course has a cracking downhill section at the start of the lap, if it hasn t changed. Did you find out if it is permit only riding ?

As red light has said you will find it tough to find anything more technical in the south east. If you want an awayday anytime try the Blackmountains here in Wales you wont be dissapointed.

subaqua

What’s the point

there is that at High Be(a)ech, just got to go into the forest a bit deeper if i could getvthe work puter to do what i want it to i will try and mark it on an OSmap.

VamP

Banned
I went out in the snow, but we didn't have as much as GregCollins, clearly. Wicked good fun though.

laughin.jpg

As for off road centres, I am not down with the kids on what makes a course 'sufficiently' technical, but the jumps and downhills at PORC looked mighty technical to me.

Top Bottom