MTB clipless pedals on a road bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

asterion

Have decided to take the plunge into clipless pedals; as I ride into uni and have to walk around a bit have decided on MTB type shoes such as http://www.evanscycles.com/products/shimano/mt41-mtb-shoes-ec008781
or http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/SixSixOne_Expert_MTB_Cycling_Shoes/5360035085/

As I understand these need to go with an MTB clipless pedal like http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Wellgo_WPD982_SPD_Pedals/5360006644/#more (I think)

What's the difference between MTB and road pedals? Can MTB pedals go on a road bike (I have a Dawes Giro 200).

Ta

The distinction is somewhat meaningless.
When people use the term 'MTB' they're usually referring to the 'SPD' type of pedal which are generally preferred on Mountain Bikes (presumably because they tend not to clog up with mud and are quite robust and forgiving)

The SPD pedal is used by many road cyclists (eg:tourers) and for many people do the trick: ie: hold the foot to the pedal making the power transfer that much more efficient given you can pull up on the pedal as well as push down. If you go for SPD pedals you need to make sure your shoes are SPD compatible (basically if the sole of the shoe only has 3 screw holes in a triangular pattern then they're not SPD compatible as the SPd cleats require 2 close-together holes). Don't panic - all the cycling shoes will state which cleats/pedals they support.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The 2 pairs of shoes you have highlighted will fit the pedals you have highlighted which will fit your bike no problem.

Just checked your links - yep - both those shoes will go with the wellgo pedals ( the pedals normally come with the cleats (the metal clip that screws to the sole of your shoe and locates into the locking mechanism in the pedal)).
Once engaged in the pedal the foot is released by simply twisting the foot (heel) outwards - and the tension (how hard you have to twist) is adjustable. The pedal manufacturers usually set the tension by default to the lowest (ie; easiest to release).

Once you've got it all set-up (which is simple: 1) new pedals on bike, and 2) cleats securely screwed into the shoes) practice putting your feet into the pedals (and releasing) while leaning against a wall.

Your confidence will soon grow.

Good Luck

stewlewis

As a generalisation:

Road clipless (Look, Shimano SPD-R) use bigger cleats and solid sole shoes with no grips, the cleats clip to the pedal very solidly with little to no float. You won;t be walking in roadie shoes and cleats.

MTB SPD allow the cleats to float in the pedals looser, with adjustable twist amount side to side before they unclip. The shoes have grips more trainer like so you can get off the bike and push it up them hills and obstacles. The cleats are recessed into the shoe tread and you can walk in the no probs.

A freind has the 661 shoes you chose and they're nice, very trainer like.

OP
OP
A

asterion

Again thank you!
Actually those pedals are out of stock on wiggle and I can't find them anywhere else. Are ones like that with a flat pedal on one side and clipless on the other any use, and if so do they have a proper name so I can hunt for them?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Why ever not? unless you actually like walking like a duck when off your bike! mtb shoes and pedals work great on road bike and you don't sound like a refugee from a tap class when you walk along. of course the roadies won't talk to go as you won't be a 'proper' roadie.

Rebel Ian

stewlewis said:
You won;t be walking in roadie shoes and cleats.

Not strictly true - until I got my new Look Keos I used Specialized road shoes with SPDs and you can walk. You do however clip clop around like a horse and if you tread on anything tiled you're likely to go bottom over breast but it is possible. I'd still take the time to buy something more suitable however.

Top Bottom