MTB, narrow saddle?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Candaules

Earlier this year I bought a Boardman hybrid, and have ridden it a lot, relegating my MTB to the garage. At first I found the hard, narrow saddle uncomfortable, but now I am used to it, and find it very comfortable.

Recently I have got the MTB out and done a bit of off-road riding, and now find the wide soft saddle (which I used to like) uncomfortable. The bike is a Claud Butler Cape Wrath, with front suspension and a sprung seat post. I don’t know what the saddle is: the LBS swapped it for me when I bought the bike. I would like to replace it with something narrower and harder. Is this a good idea for an MTB?

Bearing in mind the modest value of the bike, I don’t want to spend a fortune, but I would like to be more comfortable. Does anyone have any suggestions?

e-rider

crappy member
2 points.

1. Bin the suspension seatpost - they are crap and very uncomfortable.
2. Take a look at the Fizik Gobi XM saddle (NOT the older Gobi models; they are not as good) - IMO by far the best MTB saddle; and now available in a 'cheaper' rail option making it more affordable than the Kium model.

2 points.

2. Take a look at the Fizik Gobi XM saddle (NOT the older Gobi models; they are not as good) - IMO by far the best MTB saddle; and now available in a 'cheaper' rail option making it more affordable than the Kium model.

A Fizik Gobi XM may be a great saddle it's hardly for those on a budget, plus it'll be worth more than the bike it's fitted to.

I agree that the suspesion post should go, heavy uncomfortable things.

WTB make some ok saddles, but if the OP likes the one fitted to the Boardman get the same one for the mtb.

postman

Legendary Member
May i suggest a Charge spoon.

£24.99p

Just put one on my Spesh Secteur Elite .

Took off the Brooks which belongs on my Galaxy .

A very nice saddle 54 miles on saturday .Which was my first ride on it and my first ride in over four weeks .Very comfortable .

OP
OP
Candaules

Candaules

Thanks for those suggestions.
The Fizik Gobi is too expensive for the bike, but the Spoon looks like very good value, and gets good reviews. I think I'll try one.

LizardEye

I've just bought a Selle Shiver from On-One who have a sale on at the moment. Reduced from £54 to £20. Very nice

postman

Legendary Member
I think i ought to mention .

That this site is brilliant .I found out about the 'spoon' on here.I also got info on the bike i finally bought this year .ON HERE .

There are so many cyclists on this site that someone somewhere has a little titbit they pass on .Saving us time ,effort and money .

A big well done CycleChat

- Baz -

I think i ought to mention . That this site is brilliant . I found out about the 'spoon' on here...
Couldn't agree more. Bought a Spoon a couple of weeks ago after the comments on CC and it's the best £25 I'm ever likely to spend on a piece of kit. It was a toss up between a B17 and the Charge Spoon and thought I'd give the spoon a try first. Much as I love Brooks stuff, I can't see me changing the Spoon - except for another Spoon when this one wears out. Beautiful to look at, too.

postman

Legendary Member
I have the light grey one with white rails .

My mate says it goes really well with the colour scheme of the Spesh Sec' Elite .

e-rider

crappy member
A Fizik Gobi XM may be a great saddle it's hardly for those on a budget, plus it'll be worth more than the bike it's fitted to.

I agree that the suspesion post should go, heavy uncomfortable things.

WTB make some ok saddles, but if the OP likes the one fitted to the Boardman get the same one for the mtb.

The new Fizik Gobi XM 'maganese' is £47.50 (half the price of the 'kium') - is that still too much?

Pontprennau

2 points.

Can you tell me what's "crap" about them? and how can they be more "uncomfortable" than a solid seat post? I'm new to cycling of late so wondering what makes one more uncomfortable than a solid non suspension seatpost (not talking about road bikes here but hybrid/MTB's) and looking to expand my knowledge ?

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Why not buy the exact same saddle that is on the Boardman as you find it so comfortable ?

I tried a Charge Spoon and didn't get on with it, its on my sons bike now and he finds it fine though. Replaced it with a On-one bignose saddle

Only suspension seatpost I've tried has been on a Carrera Subway. Horrible as it was so loose it ry hard to get seat height felt as though it was going to fall off. Very hard to get seat height right. A very crude spring arrangement so eating more pies or carrying a backpack makes you heavier so seat is lower.

Top Bottom