MTB touring questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bodhbh

Guru
Hi all. Was a tossup which forum to post this on. Currently toying with the idea of a getting a cheap eBay MTB fitting it out with racks and having a crack at a bit of off-road touring for the hell of it. Was gonna get a the bike to vary the commute in a bit via the toepaths anyhow and have recently bought all the racks, panniers for my regular bike - also I live just 25miles or so from the start of the Ridgeway - so seems worth having a crack.

Only been cycling a since Easter so questions I had:

10-200 quid on ebay should be get a basic bike suitable for this? - Carrera Vulcan or Kraken or similar type bikes with front suspension?

Prolly a how long is a piece of string question depending on conditions, what sort of mileage off-road can I expect to do per day day vs road miles? Around half? two thirds?

Final one. Comfort on bike is a bigger issue for doing alot of riding off-road? Wondering if my arse is likely to be the weak link instead of my legs :/

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
I did my first off-road (coast to coast) on an Emmelle rigid from Grattans catalogue ! It was about two sizes too small and way under-geared. Managed 40 - 50 miles a day no problem and it was fine.
I ended up taking bits of foam from my argos panniers and taping them to the seat for added comfort, it's half the fun of the journey.
Just get out and do it, you'll work it out as you go along, everything feels better after a big meal and a few beers.

OP
OP
Bodhbh

Bodhbh

Guru
upsidedown said:
I did my first off-road (coast to coast) on an Emmelle rigid from Grattans catalogue ! It was about two sizes too small and way under-geared. Managed 40 - 50 miles a day no problem and it was fine.
I ended up taking bits of foam from my argos panniers and taping them to the seat for added comfort, it's half the fun of the journey.
Just get out and do it, you'll work it out as you go along, everything feels better after a big meal and a few beers.
Cheers, was beginning to wonder if it was a completely stupid post ;). Aye, got the bike now, will just load it all up and have a crack.

Top Bottom