Mud glorious mud!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wades

My mates just got himself a mountain bike and has been doing very short sub 10 mile rides so I thought It'd be good to test him a bit so we rode up Reigate Hill and hit some of the 'trails' (used in the loosest definition of the word compared to what some of you guys get up to) up there this morning).

Was absolutely brilliant fun. I'd forgotten how liberating it can be after months of longer distance road riding. Got absolutely plastered in mud and completely drenched but was grinning like an idiot the whole way.

Do need to replace the awful road-biased tyres on the old girl though as they were just a bit dodgy in places.

Aiming to do the South downs way 100 next spring so will have keep my mates motivation up as he was suffering a bit!

Not sure what my point was now apart from it's a blooming good sport isn't it?!?
blush.gif

Friz

The more you ride, the less your ass will hurt.
Not sure what my point was now apart from it's a blooming good sport isn't it?!?
blush.gif

With a post like that you don't need a point. It's a bloody awesome sport.

:thumbsup:

lukesdad

My mates just got himself a mountain bike and has been doing very short sub 10 mile rides so I thought It'd be good to test him a bit so we rode up Reigate Hill and hit some of the 'trails' (used in the loosest definition of the word compared to what some of you guys get up to) up there this morning).

Was absolutely brilliant fun. I'd forgotten how liberating it can be after months of longer distance road riding. Got absolutely plastered in mud and completely drenched but was grinning like an idiot the whole way.

Do need to replace the awful road-biased tyres on the old girl though as they were just a bit dodgy in places.

Aiming to do the South downs way 100 next spring so will have keep my mates motivation up as he was suffering a bit!

blush.gif

Best fun you can have on 2 wheels IMO

Muddy Ground

Try also following the NDW the other way to Caterham - use Route 21 down in the valley parallel to the A25 then cut up Gravelly Hill. It's an underrated little ride with some cracking sections, especially the track down the Pilgrim's way in the dry. There's also a naughty section past Gravelly.... Oh and the climb up Gravelly, if taken in the gravity assisted way as God intended mountain bikes to be ridden, is a really lovely introduction to downhill riding. Just be careful prior to the M25 as it gets a bit slippy / rocky at the end.

Anybody and their dog heads towards Box Hill / Leith Hill but everybody who has come with me on a spin over to Caterham from Reigate comes back smiling. Sometimes it's nice to do a ride that doesn't involve fear and a challenge to the ego at some point ;¬) Plus on a clear day you don't half get some excellent views of London.

MG

Muddy Ground

Jeff,

you do trump us on the beautiful countryside front a tad, well quite a bit actually, plus your trails would be more technical in nature, but this is horse country down here in Surrey so we quite possibly have more bridleway per square mile, in surprisingly hilly areas, than most places in the UK.

And yes, given the choice, I'd swop with you quite happily :biggrin:

MG