Wibble

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I can't see any way other than having ample clearance between guards and tyres. My gravel bike has 32 mm tyres and full guards and no issues.
Pal has clip ons as you described and gets clogged with 23mm tyres.

grldtnr

Remove the wheels, clean the mudguards like new and spray on some wax furniture polish to the underside. See if mud sticks.
Try fashioning some tyre skimmers out of coathanger wire, have it drag on the tyre, it's an old trick ,used to discourage picking up flints and thorns in the tyres, might work?
You will have to ingenious on where you mount them , but behind the BB my best bet,or some form of scraper.

davidphilips

Veteran
Had the same issues and even had an issue with mud etc sticking around the front wheel and fork on a bike with tight clearances and no mudguards fitted, my solution built up a winter bike with lots of room around permintally fitted mudguards.

What i have noticed allow i dont like or have a bike with disc brakes all seem to have great clearances around the wheels.

a.twiddler

Veteran
+1 for @ MichaelW2's suggestion. I used to use tyre savers back in the day and they had variable results in preventing punctures but a secondary effect was that they helped to prevent mud build up on the tyre as long as you weren't squelching through a morass. You would have to work out a way to fit them to intercept the mud before the tyre entered the mudguard.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Try fashioning some tyre skimmers out of coathanger wire, have it drag on the tyre, it's an old trick ,used to discourage picking up flints and thorns in the tyres, might work?
You will have to ingenious on where you mount them , but behind the BB my best bet,or some form of scraper.
Does that work?
Isn’t this just another thing to get clogged up and risk getting tangled into the mechanism.

simongt

Guru
tyre savers back in the day
The Carleton tyre saver you talk of came in two models; one that attached to the brake mount bolts and another with springs that clipped anywhere on the mudguards. for me, the latter were better as they were easy to put on and off. :okay:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Surely the obvious solution is that it is time for a new bike? :whistle:

Top Bottom