Mudguards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MoG

Veteran
Is there anyone here who does not use mudguards on their year round commute? If so, then why not? (other than "spoiling" the look of their best bike!)

Cubist

Still wavin'
I fitted some once, and although they did indeed spoil the look of the bike, I kept them on for a few rides. Eventually they needed to be bent, repositioned, reformed, retweaked and fiddled with so much I took them off and now put up with a bracing spray of roadfilth up my jacksy...........
whistling.gif

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I have fitted mud guards, loads of people either dont bother or have the plastic temp mud guards.

I cant see the point of the temp ones, they're useless, might as well not bother.

A good front guard will keep road grit out of your chain, a good rear guard will stop SBS.

You really notice the difference when riding behind a bike that doesnt have mud guards, you get a load of spray in your face.

OP
OP
MoG

MoG

Veteran
I have fitted mud guards, loads of people either dont bother or have the plastic temp mud guards.

I cant see the point of the temp ones, they're useless, might as well not bother.

A good front guard will keep road grit out of your chain, a good rear guard will stop SBS.

You really notice the difference when riding behind a bike that doesnt have mud guards, you get a load of spray in your face.

So, is it more a case of good manners towards other cyclists, rather than to the individual themselves?
I know my questions may seem stupid, and the answers obvious, but I struggle to understand why some (not cheap BSOs) are advertised as long distance fast commuters, yet not only have no mudguards, they don't even have eyelets to allow them.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Crud racer mk2 see me through winter, keep the bike very clean, lighter than most traditional guards and don't require fixing points

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I would like to see all commuters using mudguards.
I can have interaction with 50 or more cyclists per journey and if it's tipping down with rain there are some points where you can't avoid cycling behind them.

I personally like to use extra long mud flaps!

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I don't have mudguards because I don't mind getting my bum wet. If it's raining, you're going to get anyway. Overshoes, I would wear them next winter because I don't like wet feet.

It's not just about getting a wet bum. It's about the dirt from the road getting on you and others. The dirt getting all over your bike and the dirt getting on your lights etc..

OP
OP
MoG

MoG

Veteran
Pity they seem to no longer make the "shortie" mudguards of my youth - mind you, they were probably totally useless - I cant remember that far back!

hambones

I don't bother. I only got rained on (or endured significant spray) for 16 commutes the whole of last year, and only 3 this year - so I'm rarely getting wet. I have also only ever encountered 6 other cyclists in 3 years of commuting my route (which is actually a shame)... :sad:

lulubel

Über Member
I used mudguards when I used to commute. I tried without them, but found I was constantly riding into the "fountain" of dirty water that was kicked up by the front wheel (the back wasn't such an issue because I had my waterproof jacket on when it rained). I tried the clip on ones, but found they were a pain to get positioned right and tended to move on bumpy roads - I can't remember what make they were, but they weren't cheap. After a few weeks of that, I got proper mudguards. With practice, they only take about 10 minutes to take off at the end of winter and about twice that to put on and get positioned right in the autumn.

I hated the idea of guards due to spoiling the looks, then I rode a winter without them. Not only did I ruin quite a few jerseys (the crap off the roads is awful), but I was cleaning and oiling my bike at least once a week. My front mech seized to salt and crud and I could see the crap wearing my bike away.

Guards on and the bike stays cleaner, the chain needs less attention and I look better because my clothes are the colour they should be, with no grey stripe from my bum upwards.

I also found I wasn't getting any road spray in my face and eyes from my own front wheel.

Generally a much more pleasant experience riding in the rain with guards than without.

The only issue is finding some that you can stand the look of.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I just don't like the way they make my lovely bike look.

To quote a cycling friend, a mudguarded bike just screams "Geography teacher!" :biggrin:

Top Bottom