Music question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
I am a numpty on computers. But i have just been on You Tube listening to The Beatles.Question can you copy music off You Tube to put on to the memory of your computer.Then burn a disc or put it on an mp3 player?

cchapman

I've wondered this myself. I was going to ask one of my nephews. The other question I would ask is how good, in terms of what used to be called high fidelity is youtoube. The only thing I know definitely is I wouldn't be wasting my time on the beatles.

You can download music from iTunes (you have to pay, but it doesn't cost much), and play it through the iTunes music application. iTunes is free to download from apple.com I think. Once you have downloaded the application you can access the store where you can buy whatever music you want.

Then you can load selections from iTunes onto an MP3 player to listen to away from your computer.

cchapman

Isn't Itunes restricted to contemporary music? For example you couldn't get any Coltrane stuff except sampled in a loop over some drum machine. The sort of thing the vacantly staring androids listen to as they travel to work by bike train or bus.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
In a related vein, is there anywhere like napster used to be where you can get mp3s for nowt? My daughter got an mp3 player for Christmas and she'd like to put some music on it, but Itunes and the like are a bit out of her budget.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Uncle Mort said:
No, it's not. There is tons of John Coltrane stuff on the iTunes music store. But there is no Beatles music on it due to a long running row between the Apple Corporation and Apple Computer Inc.

apparently the beatles' back catalogue will be on at some point. if heather mills had taken macca to the cleaners in court i bet they'd be on by now…

derall

Guru
What browser are you using?

If you have Firefox then install the Fast Video Download add-on. This will let you download YouTube videos as .flv files

Next go to Cocoon Software and grab a copy of QuickMediaConveter which will convert from one format to another. It will also extract the audio track from a video file and save it as a .mp3 .m4a .wma .wav or .ogg file.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
cchapman said:
Isn't Itunes restricted to contemporary music? For example you couldn't get any Coltrane stuff except sampled in a loop over some drum machine. The sort of thing the vacantly staring androids listen to as they travel to work by bike train or bus.

I often listen to Coltrane on my iPod while doing the vacant android thing. There's a fair bit of stuff available on iTunes, not "Om"- I was looking for it the other day. Plenty other stuff.

Night Train

Maker of Things
On a similar note I use Miro, as recommended by the Gadget Show, to download and save video from YouTube and other places on the internet.

If you install it you have to stop it from starting up in the system tray as it takes ages to start and hogs the processor until it gets there.

Rob S

postman said:
I am a numpty on computers. But i have just been on You Tube listening to The Beatles.Question can you copy music off You Tube to put on to the memory of your computer.Then burn a disc or put it on an mp3 player?

There are at least a couple of ways....I've recorded soundtracks from You Tube videos using my iRivers iHP120's built in encoder fed in to the headphone socket of my computer...for stuff that isn't available any other way...depending on the video the sound can be perfectly ok as the uploader may have done HQ sound at the expense of video quality. It pays to try and find various versions of the video and hear which has the best sound.

You can also download the video using something like SaveTube....although to download the HQ version of videos you need something a bit better, it's the reason I use Firefox with it's Download Helper...you can then convert it in to a variety of video or sound formats using freeware like Super from eSoft.

The other way is not one I know much about as my MP3 player is so useful...get some software to record any streaming sound.

Rob S

Uncle Mort said:
Yebbut, the sound on YouTube is almost uniformly crap isn't it. You'd be as well to get an old Dansette cassette deck and record it via a in can pulled taut with a bit of string on it as a microphone. ;)

Yep...depends what you are after. People do post rips of albums at quite good level of quality but unless you are a real cheapskate you're best off buying the CD and ripping it yourself as getting the sound from a YouTube video will require a further recode and introduce even more quality fall off.

Top Bottom