Must Have Gear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yorkshire Lad

When you are out on your bike what do you make sure that you are carrying whether it be in a saddle bag or back pack? Things like puncture repair it, pump etc..

Also what would you reccommend even if you are naughty and don't take it with you yourself? :smile:

gavintc

Guru
The absolute minimum is a mobile phone and someone you can call with a car, that you can trust to find you and to get you home. This sounds easy, but it rarely is.

So, in my opinion the practical minimum is an inner tube, tyre levers, a few patches, some glue, a mini tool and a pump. I also put a debit card, some cash and a mobile phone in my pocket in a little plastic bag.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
gavintc said:
So, in my opinion the practical minimum is an inner tube, tyre levers, a few patches, some glue, a mini tool and a pump. I also put a debit card, some cash and a mobile phone in my pocket in a little plastic bag.

Thats what i go out with on my weekend rides :smile:

tyllwyd

gavintc said:

Also I take a small digital camera

Dave

longers

Legendary Member
gavintc said:

Sounds about right for the minimum in my opinion. I know we're talking tools and kit but I always try to have at least one bit of food with me and it's usually more than that.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Living in Brum, enough small change to get the bus home (no change given).

Other than than - as described. Have a camera on my mobile phone, so that is enough.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
No, but I could chain my bike to a lamp post, get the bus home, and then drive to where I left the bike to pick it up.

Complicated, I know..

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Bare minimum is a puncture kit, pump and a tube. Having 'never' had a mechanical in 20 odd years, I thought I'd better carry a half decent multi-tool too....way overdue a failure....NOT ! :laugh: Usually carry the phone when I remember......:evil:

Oh and always water.....over 30 miles it's an energy drink and something to munch.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
erm..

puncture repair kit
instant patches
instant inflate and seal aerosol
pump
inner tube
multi tool with chain breaker
multi spanner
phone
bike lock

spare
leggings
gloves
hat
batteries

No good carrying money for a bus as they do not run on the roads i take so would be a good 2-3 mile walk to anywhere i could get one so may as well ring the wife/other relative if i was really stuck.

Armegatron

Phone, 2.5l of water, a few coins, bank card, camera, 2 pairs of AA's, 1 pair of AAA's, rubber surgical gloves, couple cereal type bars, inner tube, inhaler, usual tools, sunglasses, ID (incase the worst happens).

I think thats all of my usual items for a weekend leisure ride of about 20 - 30 miles.

Norm

ID is good. I have next of kin details in my wallet, in another pocket and on the bike.

Coins are good, sometimes a note isn't the right thing.

Spare lights is another for me that I don't think has been mentioned. Just cheapie backup (superceded Cateye's) lights that are pretty small and go into the bottom of my spares container.

cyberknight said:
puncture repair kit
instant patches
instant inflate and seal aerosol
pump
inner tube
Wow. I'd have thought no more than two of those would be required. Isn't there a lot of duplication, if not triplication, in that collection?

Top Bottom