Mutant 8 legged freak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peteaud

Veteran
How big can a common house / Garden shed / Garage spider grow?

Ive been in the garage having a bit of a tidy and found the mother of all of them. I prodded with a stick (a long one at that) and it scuttled off into a crevice.
Biggest ive seen.

Was it even a normal spider?

It did look like the normal house spider, and a troll found this :
Females can reach 18 mm in length, with males having a slightly smaller body at around 12 mm to 15 mm in length. The female leg span is typically around 45 mm. The leg span of the male is highly variable, with spans between 25 mm to 75 mm being common.

:eek:

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
I prodded with a stick (a long one at that) and it scuttled off into a crevice.

Dont worry about it until it grabs the stick and comes after you with it :laugh:

qwiksilver

who needs a helmet
It did look like the normal house spider, and a troll found this :
Females can reach 18 mm in length, with males having a slightly smaller body at around 12 mm to 15 mm in length. The female leg span is typically around 45 mm. The leg span of the male is highly variable, with spans between 25 mm to 75 mm being common.

to be honest that dont sound that big, when we moved into our current property it was awful 10 yrs empty gardens like jungles and spiders moths all over it, we where killing 3-4 spiders a day just in the front room, my missus hates spiders and 1 night sat watching tv the monster spider appeard it was about 1 and a half the length of my hand span (well its legs where) sat across a corner of the room i had to hit it 3 times with my steel toe cap boots to kill it but since that 1 we have only ever saw the occasional spider and they have all been small general garden ones so i think 75 mil is airing on the side of causion

Camrider

They do get pretty big and are very fast. Whenever one is found in the house, I am delegated to catch it and put it out side although I'm happy to leave them be, my other half get a bit hysterical when one is spotted emerging from its hiding place.

Totally harmless I usually just scoop them up by hand and the go put them in some suitable spot in the garden.

Camrider

twe where killing 3-4 spiders a day just in the front room, my missus hates spiders and 1 night sat watching tv the monster spider appeard it was about 1 and a half the length of my hand span (well its legs where) sat across a corner of the room i had to hit it 3 times with my steel toe cap boots to kill it

Murderer :angry:

OP
OP
Peteaud

Peteaud

Veteran
i had to hit it 3 times with my steel toe cap boots to kill it

rron722l.jpg

qwiksilver

who needs a helmet

lmao totally i confess, usually i chuck em out but that 1 no way i swear it was starring me out

OP
OP
Peteaud

Peteaud

Veteran
I am happy enough to pick up any size house spider.
After all they don't bite......do they?

Yes they do

The Giant house spider (Tegenaria duellica; formerly known as T. gigantea) is a member of the genus Tegenaria and is a close relative of both the Domestic house spider and the infamous Hobo spider. The bite of this species does not pose a threat to humans or pets, although it is the only species of the whole Agelenid family to be able to bite through human skin proper (altogether).

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yes they do

The Giant house spider (Tegenaria duellica; formerly known as T. gigantea) is a member of the genus Tegenaria and is a close relative of both the Domestic house spider and the infamous Hobo spider. The bite of this species does not pose a threat to humans or pets, although it is the only species of the whole Agelenid family to be able to bite through human skin proper (altogether).

Blimey.. oh well. Never been bitten.... yet.

Top Bottom