My Bikes and Build Info

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
more piccies in my profile albums

Giant CRS Alliance 2008 Triple:-

picture.php

Carbon top tube, forks, seat stays, the rest alu - 9 speed triple, 30/42/52 & SRAM 12-26 cassette. Wheels as per original, Giant own brand IOU 333, now fitted with 23mm Schwalbe Laguno tyres. Changed pedals to larger BMX style platforms, added frame pump with presta and schrader adaptors, plus two bottle cages. Dummy storage bottle holds 2 tubes, rubber gloves, glueless patches, leatherman tool and zip ties. Changed stem to 130mm adjustable and bars to butterfly ones. Also changed seatpost to inline and saddle to Specialized Alias 155. There is a fitting for a topeak saddle pack and the crossbar bag is topeak as well. Torch on bars is a Fenix fitted via twofish lockblock.

current plan is to change this to a drop bar bike with STI integrated brake/gear shifters.

oxbob

Very nice MacB

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Surly Crosscheck Commuter:-

picture.php

This was built up from scratch, started with the SRAM I-9 hub gear built into a Mavic A719 rim. Then bought 60cm Crosscheck steel frame and had front wheel done with same rim and Shimano 105 hub. Seatpost is a Thompson Elite, saddle a Brooks B17 standard, mudguards SKS, rack Madison Summit. Left the fork steerer uncut, stem is 130mm adjustable, bars butterfly, tyres Marathon Plus 35mm. Brakes are shimano V-brakes. Two bottle cages storage one has 2 tubes, gloves, glueless patches, multitool and zip ties. Flat BMX style platform pedals, frame pump, smart flash lights, fitting for topeak saddle pack. Twist grip shifter on the right for hub gear, chainring is 48 sprocket 21, range 33 to 114 inches.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Dawes Civic 3 Speed Pub Bike:-

picture.php

this was an e-bay purchase and stripped the steel 500 frame, forks and headset ready for building up. Wheels are Mavic A719 rims, rear hub is the Sturmey Archer SRF3, which is new version of the AW. Had to order from US as needed the longer axle and they don't supply in Europe. Front hub is a Shimano 105 and the tyres are Marathon Plus 35mm again. Forks are the Surly Crosscheck forks in a 1" threadless version mtached with a BBB 1" threadless headset. Stem and bars are original ones from Giant(I added bar ends) and fitted to steerer via stem shim(kindly donated to me by Will from CC), again left steerer uncut. Inline seatpost, think it was 26.8, but may need setback for this or a longer stem. Rack is bog standard from LBS and saddle is an old San Marco Rolls. Flat BMX style platfrom pedals and usual frame pump, again. V-brakes and right hand side twist shifter for the SA hub. LBS sorted out BB, chainring and cranks, cog is 18 think chainring is 44, not sure. But gears are around 50, 67 and 90 inches.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Raleigh City bike saved from tip for £20 last weekend:-

picture.php

Steel frame, level below Reynolds 500, in excellent condition. I have now removed the matching blue mudguards and chainguard and will be removing the kickstand when I find an allen key big enough. Dynamo lights are en route to Joe and ILB is getting the little mileometer thingy, near front hub. Saddle is very weird but can't alter it until I get a new fitting or seatpost. Rear hub is a Sturmey Archer AW from December 1987 and runs extremely smoothly. SA gear trigger not working but should be easy to fix or replace. Plan on stripping hub and reassembling having replaced and greased as needed. Rear rim has fair iold ding in it so will need replacing anyway. Will probably get both wheels rebuilt with 700c Mavic rims, obviously keeping rear hub and front hub runs incredibly smoothly as well. Not really thought about brakes/bars/stems yet, would imagine will convert to ahead.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

longers said:
All good, but I'd have kept the blue mudguards :tongue:

this is probably going to my 14 year old son, twee shopper look had to go

longers

Legendary Member
In which case you're probably 100% correct in removing them based on my own view of mudguards at 14.

Are you bringing the Giant to Yorkshire?

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

longers said:
In which case you're probably 100% correct in removing them based on my own view of mudguards at 14.

Are you bringing the Giant to Yorkshire?

yep, the only other option would be the Surly as the Dawes ride position isn't sorted yet. Surly weighs 36lbs Giant weighs 24lbs, bit of a no brainer, and I also have full length clip on guards for Giant if need be. Looking forward to this one, this coming weekends short hilly ride should provide a warm up.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

threebikesmcginty said:
Really nice set of individual bikes - all tailored to suit too*, must be very satisfying.

*Except the Raleigh of course, give it time though and I'll bet it get MacB'd!

very true - just back from LBS, needed use of a super sized allen key to remove kickstand. Now deciding what new rims/wheels to go for, must be a 36 hole on rear to take the SA hub but may just get a complete new wheel for front. Will post a piccie later of current incarnation.

Davidc

Guru
MacB said:
the little mileometer thingy, near front hub. .

They were called cyclometers. Came in 27" 26" and 20" versions IIRC. About the only sensible ride measuring device available before modern style bike computers.

This is probably obvious but hope you've measured the wheel diameter. The bike looks very much like one I had as a pub bike ages ago, and that had the old pre mtb style 26". The person I sold it to put the more recent mtb type 26" wheels on it and as far as I know it's still comuting 6 miles a day in Brighton! Those old Raleighs weighed a ton but were built to last.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

okay Raleigh partially stripped down:-

picture.php

wheels are 590 as opposed to 622(700c) and will be changed to 700c, checked with LBS and there's plenty of clearance. Just trying to decide on the rims, the Mavic A719 might be overkill and are expensive. Need 36 hole for rear but front can be less.

Top Bottom