My cyclocross ambition by Palinurus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I entered my first time trial three years ago after reading a thread on the C+ forum. Stupidly I announced it beforehand so I had to go through with it. I'm going to do the same thing with cyclocross, it'll give me that extra motivational kick, should I need it.

I'm 40 years old. I've never entered any sort of massed start cycle race, closest I've come to that is a 3-up TTT. My bike handling skills are probably terrible.

It's going to involve a bit more work to get started than time-trialling which only requires the ability to stay calm during the push-off and not fall off while circling a roundabout. I can manage the roundabout.

I plan to do it relatively cheaply. I just got a long-service award -£400- that's my budget for the bike. Frame is on the way, the LBS are primed ready to have me some wheels built, order me some bits.

I've got to figure out how to dismount, remount, ride off-road and get some running in too. I live pretty close to some parkland and woods crisscrossed with bridleways, I'm going to be making some use of them now.

The dismount is getting there, started getting it about right yesterday. On the way home from work I've taken to riding up and down a strip of grass in the park, practising. I've just figured out that it helps to set the SPD release tension really loose, that was a bit of a breakthrough, I can now jump off knowing that the bike isn't likely to stay attached to my foot. I've also figured out that if it isn't too muddy my commute bike does OK off-road on 23 mm tyres with full mudguards. It's fun; I'm riding like a kid. I pulled a great broadie yesterday on some damp grass (although that skill won't be very useful in cyclocross).

Haven't even attempted the remount yet; that looks trickier. I'll have a go at that next week. Once I've got that down I can work out a little loop and cycle around for 40 mins or so, doing some dismounting, carrying, remounting etc.

I have no doubt that whatever preparation I do will be completely inadequate when it comes to an actual race, no doubt that I'll attract all sorts of choice comments as I cut up other riders, cause them to ride through the tape to avoid me as I bollocks up another corner, cause them to pile into the back of me as I brake too early.

I've got until November 9th to get it together enough to race. Here goes..

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Chapeau - that sounds like an excellent ambition (toyed with the idea myself, but figured I should probably stay on the road for now...)

This might help;

http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/news/article/mps/UAN/187/V/1/SP/

I hope you'll keep the thread updated with your progress.

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
dan_bo said:
I've found that practicing being really out of breath for 1 hour ten minutes is about the best training you can do for CX. it's really quite intense.

Intense. Yup, that's what I've heard.

It really hasn't sunk in yet, probably best.

It's my 43rd birthday today and I'm in the same boat as you. I'm putting together my first CX too hence my earlier threads. Aside from track racing in my teens I've only done a couple of charity-type rides. Let me know how you get on. Good luck

thats a fantastic aim......I too have jsut bought a CX bike (Kona Jake) with the aim of having a 'do it all' bike to go with the cannondale mountain bike I already have..........and ive never had a bike with drop bars:blush:;)

Is there a race or a league in Watford then?

I would love to have a go.....I'm relatively fit, but would need to work a lot harder.....and I'm 39 this month, it must be a mid life thing!!

good luck, and keep this post updated;)

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Central region.

Couple of events near me there, a couple a bit further out and some a fair way off.

http://centralcxl.org.uk/

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Palinurus, not sure how useful it will be, but Bikehugger's podcast is doing a series of tips from a beginners' 'Cross Workshop they attended this week.

first of them is here

rjeffroy

Are you going to one of the training sessions?

"Cyclo-Cross Training Sessions

Regular Hillingdon Friday session 6 to 8 pm

Meet up by the Visitor Centre - join in at any time

Sat 20 Sept 1 to 5 pm Training on CX race circuit

Cost: £4.00 per session"

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Both those suggestions look interesting (the Podcast and the training sessions), I'll look into that. I won't be able to make the 20th, I just don't have anything suitable to ride yet. I think there's a race at Hillingdon the day after, I thought that was a bit too soon.

I now have a frame- thanks to Bonk Man- off to the LBS at the weekend to get some wheels built.

Dismount coming along, now I can move my right hand to the crossbar in advance of jumping off, makes for a smoother pickup. Fell off once during practice yesterday in the park, foot stayed attached to pedal.

Gotta keep those dog-walkers amused.

Remount is fairly rubbish, a sort of fast-ish clamber on at best, and best doesn't come very regularly at the moment.

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Did my first bit of running yesterday, about 15 -20 minutes in the park, probably closer to 15.

Legs today feel similar, or worse, than the way they would after 100 hilly miles on the bike.

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
John the Monkey said:
Palinurus, not sure how useful it will be, but Bikehugger's podcast is doing a series of tips from a beginners' 'Cross Workshop they attended this week.

first of them is here

I think that's going to be very useful, cheers.

Top Bottom