My First Century ! !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stevieboy378

Been getting awful close to breaking the 100 mile barrier over the last few weeks ( 88 miles was my best ), but opportunities to get out and turn pedals had been thin on the ground. Then my other half announced that she was going to a health spa with some of her friends on Friday, til Sunday. The weather forecast for Saturday looked good so I thought "OK, this is it" . . . .

I was up at 5AM on the day, and ate a large bowl of ready brek to fuel me up for the off. I'd decided to try to eat every 30 minutes, as my downfall on my longer rides has always been that once I start enjoying the ride I neglect my eating and drinking, leading to the latter part of the ride being a real struggle.

I set off from my home in Aldridge at 6.30AM and rode through Whittington, Harlaston, Clifton Campville and No Mans Heath in good time - I'd set the cycle computer to beep every half hour, and I munched on flapjacks, maltloaf and wine gums as I rode - so far so good.
I passed through Measham and the cutely named Farmtown, which sounds more like a kids program on CBeebies than a village, where I halted for breakfast and a 20 minute rest.
Next I rode along the cloud trail, a beautiful cycle track on a disused railway bed, which took me straight into the centre of the city of Derby, where I chained up the bike and had a stroll round the shops and fuelled up with a Maccie D quarter pounder meal - yum ! !
Picking up the national cycle route number 54 I made my way to Burton on Trent, where I once again locked up the bike and had a stroll - this was becoming as much a walking trip as a cycling one ! !
I continued on the 54 route to Lichfield, passing through the villages of Barton Under Needwood, Alrewas and Fradley, each one gorgeous . . . .
After reaching Lichfield the cycle computer told me I'd clocked up 86 miles, and as I was only 8 miles from home it was time to branch off and add the necessary miles to break to century.
I headed for the village of Farewell, then went on to Chorley, Burntwood and Chasetown - I was now on course to reach my goal, but I threw in a lap of Chasewater for good measure, before heading into Brownhills and getting on the canal towpath for the nice steady 3 mile ride home.

On reaching home I scrolled through the figures on the cycle computer, and discovered I'd done 104 miles - YES ! !
I actually felt like I could have done another 20 or so miles, but I'll leave that for another time - the next target has to be 200 KM

The next morning I got out of bed on legs that felt like they were made of clay, but after a few hours I felt great - In fact I've been out today and blasted through a 75 miler and got home feeling like I could have done it again with ease . . . .

A huge factor in breaking the century was nutrition - forcing myself to eat every 30 minutes, and stopping for breakfast and lunch really did the trick, as did a gel sachet every 10 miles after the half century.

rb58

Enigma
Well done! I remember the feeling well! Won't be long before you have the 200km under your belt too.

I remember someone once telling me you should eat before you're hungry and drink before you're thirsty when on the bike. Seems to have made the difference.

potsy

Rambler
Excellent Steve,well done.
Did my 1st 100+ miler last week and was really struggling at the end,not enough food/drink during the 1st half of the ride while I felt OK,lesson learnt for the next long one.

OP
OP
S

stevieboy378

It amazes me just how quickly I run out of steam when I hit the bonk - one minute I'm flying along, the next I'm struggling to even turn the pedals . . . .
This century really taught me a lesson about fuelling my body on a ride - I used the same approach on todays 75 miler and absolutely cruised through it . . . .

ASC1951

Guru
I set off from my home in Aldridge ...
A fine part of the world. We used to live in Red House Farm, in Redhouse Lane, and I remember going into the sweetshop on the corner of Dumblederry Lane with a penny for three chews so that I could get a farthing in my change. It all seems a very long time ago!

But I shall be out doing continuous monthly 100 #69 on Friday, body permitting, so maybe there was something in the Midlands water. Keep at it, Steve.

jayonabike