My First Collision

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

515mm

I feel I can look you all in the eye now.

Sat morning, riding into work with Lardyboy, approaching Tesco from the west on Oystermouth Rd Swansea. I was accelerating from 20 to 25mph in primary position in the left hand lane of this 30mph dual carriageway.
As the left hand filter lane starts (I'm going straight on, BTW) a senior citizen in her Toyota Previa people carrier attempts to overtake me, totally underestimates my speed and drifts left, nudging me three times on my right arm. I braked, pulled left out of the way and managed to keep the bike upright. Oh boy - what an adrenaline rush - punctuated by quite the worst torrent of abuse I've heard pour out of my mouth. She stops her car about 20 yards on, at the traffic lights which are on green. I had thought that she wasn't going to stop.

When I arrived to talk to her, she had already wound her window down and was apologising profusely, explaining that whilst it was no excuse, a speeding red car had driven very close to her, which had caused her to lose concentration and make a mistake. Fair enough, no harm done I thought, all I wanted was an apology and a promise to be more careful in future. Which is what I got.

Brave of her to wind her window down, a lesser soul might have popped her one on the nose. And no, I wasn't tempted.....

shimano

lucky escape 515 - Since my return to two wheels I'm awaiting my first 'incident' I hope I'm as lucky (skillful?) as you.

OP
OP
515mm

515mm

It's my first one, in 18 months of commuting.

I think that standing up helped, if I'd been sitting down I think the evasive manouvre would have been much more difficult.

Well done for staying upright, and it is nice to hear that all ended well and the lady realised her mistake.

Contrary to popular belief I have actually never been hit by any other road users. It's been close, but it hasn't happened......yet

(quickly crosses every finger toe and any other extremity that can be crossed! :biggrin:)

OP
OP
515mm

515mm

thanks Magnatom, I was more pleased that I didn't have the urge to tear her head off.

Glad to hear your collision avoidance is working well!

515mm said:
thanks Magnatom, I was more pleased that I didn't have the urge to tear her head off.

Very true. I would imagine in that situation you could be (justifiably) pretty angry!

Well done for 'keepin the heid!' :biggrin:

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
No road rash???
No cuts or bruises???

That's not a collision... 'tis merely a test of your skills by the helpful driver! :biggrin:;)

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
It's saddened me a number of times - mostly when driving - that while we have any number of ways of expressing disapproval of our fellow citizens on the road, we have no generally recognised way of saying sorry when we've screwed up.

I had my head down going for the lights before they changed to red, Heard three bangs and swept past 515mm wondering why he was slowing down when the lights were on red. Only at the next set of lights when he hadn't arrived did I wonder what had happened. Oops. Sorry Boyo!:ohmy::biggrin:

Keith Oates

Janner
[quote name='swee'pea99']It's saddened me a number of times - mostly when driving - that while we have any number of ways of expressing disapproval of our fellow citizens on the road, we have no generally recognised way of saying sorry when we've screwed up.[/QUOTE]

I usually raise the flat hand and give a smile, which I think conveys the message!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
515mm

515mm

Lardyboy said:
I had my head down going for the lights before they changed to red, Heard three bangs and swept past 515mm wondering why he was slowing down when the lights were on green. Only at the next set of lights when he hadn't arrived did I wonder what had happened. Oops. Sorry Boyo!;):biggrin:

.....as self centered as a flippin' gyroscope, aye!

*ducks to avoid high velocity teacup*

Top Bottom