My first commute to work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Decani

I have been cycling for 4 weeks, just a mile or two at a time to get use to riding. I decided to take the plunge and ride to work today. I cycled from Harold Wood (near Romford) to Ilford which is about 9 miles and done it in 40 minutes. I am 18 stone (that's why I am cycling), 6ft and aged 52. My legs ache a bit, but nothing too bad. I am happy because I done it.

Got to cycle home later from work.....help .....lol :smile:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Excellent Decan, good work & it's a bit windy out there too.
Keep it up mate, it will only get easier for you.

9 miles in 40 minutes is a respectable commute time.

The more you do it, the easier it becomes until one day you look back and wonder what the fuss was all about.

Well done.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Fantastic, well done :thumbsup:

You may want a couple of days rest afterwards, 18 miles is a fair distance if you've only done a couple before.
Your legs will let you know tomorrow if they do need rest ;)

Decani said:
Hopefully, the wind will push me home!

I even caught up with a guy who went through the red traffic lights when I stopped.
Nah, it'll have changed direction by this evening and so be in your face, as per the 1st law as described by Touche.

Congratulations on that second point .. don't it make you feel :thumbsup: ?? ;)

And congratulations on the whole thing .. you'll soon get the hang and then you'll miss it when you don't do it.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Decani said:
I have been cycling for 4 weeks, just a mile or two at a time to get use to riding. I decided to take the plunge and ride to work today. I cycled from Harold Wood (near Romford) to Ilford which is about 9 miles and done it in 40 minutes. I am 18 stone (that's why I am cycling), 6ft and aged 52. My legs ache a bit, but nothing too bad. I am happy because I done it.

Got to cycle home later from work.....help .....lol ;)

apart from being 10 years older you're very similar stats to me when I started end of last year. This month I've cycled to work every day, 20 miles each way, and I'm down from 18 stone to about 15.5. However clothes fitting wise seems more like 14.5 stone.

Pay attention to signals from hands, arms, shoulders, back and knees. You may need to tweak bars and saddle height/position to get it right. I was fine for first 100 miles or so then started getting knee pain due to saddle too low(pain at front of knee). Do have rest days etc but I'm also happy to just cycle slowly rather than stay off bike altogether. You will get straight forward muscle pain, just ride through it, my legs ease after a couple of miles each morning. When I first get out of bed it's a different story:biggrin:

Glad to hear from another convert, it doesn't get easy but it gets a lot more fun.

Top Bottom