My first "commute"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

neffi

Had a conference today, at a location closer to home than my workplace so I took my new bike, put on my new helmet, and off I set. All main road, with a marked cycle path most of the way and one large roundabout (Scilly Isles in Esher, if anyone knows it). 3.4 miles later, hotter and sweatier than I planned but in one piece, I made it to my destination. I am SO proud of myself.

Normal work is twice the distance so I may need to work up to that but given todays experience it can be done.

awfulquiet

thumbsup.png
thumbsup.png
thumbsup.png

Welcome to the world of Cycle-Commuting...

Attachments

• thumbsup.png
    thumbsup.png
    447 bytes · Views: 25
  • thumbsup.png
    thumbsup.png
    447 bytes · Views: 26
Well done Neffi.
The more you commute the more easier and enjoyable it becomes.

Indeed - I started off a few years back with 4 miles on an elderly Halford BSO to one site that I work in where the bus service was a bit rubbish. I now haven't caught a bus to any of my sites since somewhere around Easter - and do up to 30 miles on a Friday, mainly because I take the long way home as it's much nicer than the direct route :smile:

DaveyB1981

Well done! And good luck with your future commutes! It will soon become second nature to take the bike and you will reap the benefits.

Enjoy!

Dave

CorsairC

Über Member
Well done. I was much the same when I started.

As a beginner I think theres a tendency to over dress. Also theres a tendency to cycle too fast. Theres no reason you can't slow down or even stop for a couple on minutes halfway to cool down. That was my experience anyway. using a pannier bag instead of a rucksack helps too.

davefb

Guru
Well done. I was much the same when I started.

As a beginner I think theres a tendency to over dress. Also theres a tendency to cycle too fast. Theres no reason you can't slow down or even stop for a couple on minutes halfway to cool down. That was my experience anyway. using a pannier bag instead of a rucksack helps too.

i'm a big wuss, i have to stop halfway, i have a transition from road <> offroad/cycle lane, so i just take 5 and fuel up .. its a nice place to stop anyway so it's no real negative...

its' really obvious that i then set off a lot faster than i'd just been travelling :smile:....

jay clock

Massive member
when I started commuting a long time ago I was genuinely in some doubt as to whether I was physically capable of cycling the 4 or 5 miles to work. About three weeks in, I set off one Saturday for a gentle spin from London to Brighton. Could not believe how easy it was....

Enjoy it!

RedBike

I've been really missing commuting to work by bike. Hopefully I should start commuting again next week. Just 2-3days to start with. I can't wait though!!

When you think about it, it doesn' t make any sense. Why would anyone want to cycle into work when I could drive, stay dry and avoid all the effort?

fire_one

I did my first commute to the office yesterday, a very sweaty affair, had to walk a bit too, not very confident on the busier road. I went from London Bridge to Old Street! But very proud of myself too. Loving the new bike and cycling

Had a conference today, at a location closer to home than my workplace so I took my new bike, put on my new helmet, and off I set. All main road, with a marked cycle path most of the way and one large roundabout (Scilly Isles in Esher, if anyone knows it). 3.4 miles later, hotter and sweatier than I planned but in one piece, I made it to my destination. I am SO proud of myself.

Normal work is twice the distance so I may need to work up to that but given todays experience it can be done.

Well done neffi - you'll up your 'mileage' as time goes on. Next stop - the Sunday Ride to a Café - starting at HPC. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom