My first little bump

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Well it had to happen sometime... I was waiting to turn right off a busy(ish) road (Northumbria Drive in Henleaze) in a right filter box behind another cyclist. A lorry/truck thing: X363 XBR waiting to pull out right finally became so impatient that he pulled out and caught the back of my bike. I was unbalanced but not onto the ground - nice scuff marks on the mudguards - but at least the brand new bike seems OK. I yelled at him ... his reply I should have waited further up - in other words parrallel with the other cyclist waiting to turn right. Should I have ....?

I was suprised by how shaken up I was considering that it was all at low speed and that I didn't end up on the ground. Made me realise that anything even slightly more major would leave me very very shaken up.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Oooh, unlucky you. Here's a choccy and a hot cuppa, hope you feel better soon. Given that it was a lorry, chances are it's a company vehicle. I'd report it to the police, and claim for the mudguard on his insurance. Sure, it's a small amount of money, but he needs the lesson on driving, clearly. This is also how his transport manager is likely to find out about his misdemeanor, and a good route for you to complain to the company as well.

Here's some gen on finding out about vehicle registrations:
http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=997.0

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Sorry to hear about that. His comments are totally incorrect you are entitled to wait where you you like.

Glad you are OK

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
I check vehicle registrations on www.askmid.co.uk. You have to tell a white lie that you own the vehicle, but it checks it is insured and if so confirms the make and model

This was a FORD (U.K) PICK UP - DOUBL

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Thank you for the sympathy and tea ...

BentMikey said:
Oooh, unlucky you. Here's a choccy and a hot cuppa, hope you feel better soon. Given that it was a lorry, chances are it's a company vehicle. I'd report it to the police, and claim for the mudguard on his insurance. Sure, it's a small amount of money, but he needs the lesson on driving, clearly. This is also how his transport manager is likely to find out about his misdemeanor, and a good route for you to complain to the company as well.

Here's some gen on finding out about vehicle registrations:
http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=997.0

Sorry I'm not registered with YACF so I can't see that topic

mr_cellophane said:
I check vehicle registrations on www.askmid.co.uk. You have to tell a white lie that you own the vehicle, but it checks it is insured and if so confirms the make and model

This was a FORD (U.K) PICK UP - DOUBL

But what can I do with the information - I rang the police but they said there isn't a system to record this ... that the only charge would be careless driving and that given the minor nature without witnesses (in a more serious incident I don't know I would think to get witnesses), that the CPS wouldn't do anything.

I can almost see the word camera dancing before my eyes....

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
You should still report it to get an incident number, then use it to get to their insurance to make the mudguard claim.

Trillian

ask them if there is a system to record a collision with another vehicle or not

you are, in the eyes of the law a vehicle, the lorry has collided with you, and by the sounds of it, has left the scene of the accident

the police just can't be bothered and thus should be hastled

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
It is increasable how lazy the police are when it come to these things, just because we choose to ride a bike doesn't mean we don't have the right to be protected by the law....

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I'm feeling worse this morning as I keep thinking what if he had knocked me off properly ... I think I would have fallen towards the lorry. I've got to go back through the same junction this morning ...

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
summerdays said:
I'm feeling worse this morning as I keep thinking what if he had knocked me off properly ... I think I would have fallen towards the lorry. I've got to go back through the same junction this morning ...

Shame, sympathies. This can be very mentally intimidating. One thing that works for me is to use the extra mental pressure to focus on your cyclecraft, riding more smoothly and putting effort into owning your space on the road.

Maz

Guru
I thought this thread was going to have some ultrasound scan pics. :evil:
Glad you are OK, summerdays.

I nearly got knocked off at this RAB this a.m. I was already on it and the driver tries to join in front of me, beeping like I'd done summat wrong.:sad:

Top Bottom