My first road bike? Yes, no. maybe?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tudor

Hello there,

The opportunity arose to finally get myself a budget bike and it comes in the form of this: Pinnacle Dolomite
It's under 400 which is kind of perfect for me.

Size says XL but I saw it much shorter than that. Do you know if they have their own sizing system?
ANyway, looking forward to your opinions.

Cheers guys.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
It looks like quite a compact frame to me, which has the effect of making the bike look smaller than it feels when you're riding it. I don't know about their sizing though, nor about your size. The only way of really knowing is to get your leg over it.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
In the information about the bike there is a question about the bike sizes...

photo.jpg

OP
OP
tudor

tudor

Oh yes, forgot to mention I'm 190 cms (6.2 feet aprox) that's why i said it seemed smaller.
I never owned a racing bike before, only mountainbikes and even on a big size I felt the bikes somewhat "out of place". Not until I owned a 29er did I feel I look adequate on a bike. Hope that makes some sense...

cyberknight

The best thing to do is try a few bikes for size at a bike shop, as long as the seat can be put safely high enough its the length of top tube + stem that is the most important to get a good fit .

You can this bike which has the next groupset spec for similar money , sora rather than 2300 parts so a bit better quality...

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-5-id_8167039.html

goes up a bigger size as well i think.

cyberknight

Just placed an order on this baby:
http://www.wiggle.co...-series-5-2011/

It was just 60 pounds between the GT and Pinnacle so i thought it's easily worth it. Plus i really like the shifters.
Im so excited now, cant wait for it to arrive.

Thanks for the input guys :smile:

Did you order the medium? it looks nice but i think it will be to small and be aware it has a proper racing chainset rather than the normal compact double so the gears will be harder , or faster depending on your legs .

OP
OP
tudor

tudor

I ordered the ExtraLarge one, last size that was available.
Also, I think it was the last bike in their stock as I took a look on their site after receiving the confirmation mail and it showed "Discontinued" for everything. So, lucky break for me I guess.

The deal maker was the brand (GT over Pinnacle), the paint job (much nicer) and the shifters (not having to shift with the brake lever, not a big fan of that)

All I need now is a lock, cycle computer and helmet.

Thanks again for the input :smile:

cyberknight

phew !

When i clicked on the link it only showed medium :smile:

I like microshift shifters, had then on a carrera TDF and the mechanic at the LBS said he liked the positive click rather than the ultra smoothness of shimano 2300 .

I hope you have many miles of fun !

OP
OP
tudor

tudor

I wasn't aware of that click-ing sound, but Sora type shifters are definitely not to my liking.
I test rode the Dolomite and when I wasn't holding the drop bars and needed to break with my fingers i kept pushing the lever to switch gears rather than break hard.
But I'm sure that's mostly because I'm inexperienced with them.

Thanks again :smile:

Top Bottom