My first solo puncture repair

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wheeledweenie

Über Member
After a bit of phone support from a cycle-mad friend I successfully got my back wheel off, found and removed the naughty piece of glass and replaced the inner tube all by myself. I even got it back on without tangling the chain.

Pity I got 200 yards before realising I hadn't reset the back brake but nobody's perfect!

Jane Smart

The Queen
Hey well done to you. I ( touch wood ) have not had a puncture .. .. ... yet.. .. .. ..

I don't even carry a spare tube, puncture repair kit nor pump. :smile:

I do though, carry a mobile phone.

That is one thing I want to learn though, how to repair a puncture, as I could be in the middle of no where, the first time it happens.

Once again, well done :biggrin:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I mean... what silly billy would ever forget to do the brake back up..:biggrin:

Wheeledweenie said:
Pity I got 200 yards before realising I hadn't reset the back brake but nobody's perfect!

ps, well done...

OP
OP
Wheeledweenie

Wheeledweenie

Über Member
A newbie silly billy!

I'm so glad I carry a repair kit, spare inner and pump with me, I'd have been screwed without it. I only started carrying them because I got caught out last month and had taken the kit at the last minute. A wonderful good samaritan took pity and helped me repair the hole (teaching me how to do it as he went), and he said he only helps those who have come prepared or they'll never learn so now I take stuff everywhere!

accountantpete

Brexiteer
I hope you didn't use levers to get the tyre on and off Wheelie - hands and fingers only for proper bike people you know!:biggrin:

ianrauk said:
I mean... what silly billy would ever forget to do the brake back up..:biggrin:
<LC shyly raises a hand>

Worse than that, I was in the "I will carry spares and tools one day when I get round to it" mode, then I had a puncture approx 1 mile from work . Walking the rest of the way pushing the bike was the impetus to get me round to it.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
and not so newbie silly billy's as well

Wheeledweenie said:
A newbie silly billy!

Ben M

I always take a tube (two on longer rides), but have yet to have to repair a p******e whilst on the go.

Conti-ultra gatorskins are Gods tbh ;)

OP
OP
Wheeledweenie

Wheeledweenie

Über Member
Ben M said:
I always take a tube (two on longer rides), but have yet to have to repair a p******e whilst on the go.

I bought two for the FNRttC to Brighton but normally carry one. Normally I'd have repaired it but finding the hole when it's your first p******e, while it's weeing with rain and you haven't got a handy bowl of water to check for bubbles was just a bridge too far. I've kept the holey tube and will repair it at home.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Jane Smart said:
I ( touch wood ) have not had a puncture .. .. ... yet.. .. .. ..

I don't even carry a spare tube, puncture repair kit nor pump. :ohmy:

Consider fate well and truely tempted :biggrin::wacko:

ianrauk said:
I mean... what silly billy would ever forget to do the brake back up..;)

Did this myself Yesterday morning :ohmy:

Wheeledweenie said:
I feel so much better knowing I'm not the only one, thanks guys.
I've done it lots in the past .. thankfully I tend to spot it whilst pushing the bike about before setting off.

Though I did once go for a little spin round the road having done a bit of maintenance and then found out I'd left both brakes undone. That was very worrying but luckily I was in our cul-de-sac heading towards the slight incline at the cul-de-sac end so just let the bike coast to a halt. My neighbour had the good grace to laugh at me when he realised .. :wacko:

Top Bottom