My First Solo Tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

splitpin

Hi everyone,

So a few weeks ago I quit my job and flat so that I could do a solo cycle tour through Euope. I started in Dorset on the 9th July and cycled over the next few days to Portsmouth where I got a ferry to St Malo. From there I headed to Mont-St-Michel, Paris, Orleans, followed the Loire for a bit, then to Nevers, and Cluny before crossing the border at La Cure into Switzerland, and I am currently in Lausanne being hosted by someone I contacted through the warmshowers.org website.

Just wanted to say a quick thanks to everyone on this forum for all the advice on what bike/kit etc to buy. I haven't posted much in the past but have read all I could to give myself an idea of what I'd be undertaking. Although it's definately true that the best advice is just to get out there and see what works for you. The first couple of days I dumped a lot of kit that was unnecessary, mainly gimmicky things that I realised I could do without.

Next up I'm planning to head though Switzerland and into Italy, before hopefully heading towards Coatia, but not sure exactly where I will end up! Is anyone else planning to be touring these parts in the next few weeks? It would be great to meet some more tourers along the way.

Mike

videoman

Guru
You lucky devil and what a hugh decision to make and enjoy the rest of your tour.

jags

Guru
wow sounds like your having a ball fair play to you.are you doing big daily miles or are you smelling the roses :thumbsup:
so how is the gear working out for ya and what's your favorite piece of kit silly questions i know but i'm a nosy bugger. enjoy your fantastic tour and keep safe.

calibanzwei

Another lucky sod :biggrin: - my brother is down that way, in Luxembourg as of the 27th July, heading towards Austria, Northern Italy, Slovenia and Croatia - hopefully getting to Bulgaria by the end of the summer holidays. I'll send you a PM.

OP
OP
splitpin

splitpin

No problem Jags, I guess my favourite bit of kit would have to be the bike. I bought a Thorn Sherpa which I know is overkill for this tour but I wanted something reliable that I could use for whatever tour I decided to do in the future. Other than that I think the best thing I did was buy all quick drying clothes as with the amount of rain there has been it would be a pain in the ass to try to dry everything out otherwise. Oh and Ortlieb panniers - bloody amazing! My Alturas do start to let in water eventually but the Ortliebs seem to withstand any abuse.

The main thing I wish I had bought now is a small netbook or tablet pc as it would make getting in touch with warm showers and couch surfing hosts so much easier. Everywhere I've been has WIFI but nowhere has any cyber cafes. Also in a campsite in Versailles I met a dutch couple using Hennessy Hammocks which were amazing, and I think I'll be buying one of them as soon as I get back to the UK, even if its just to use in the garden!

As for daily mileages I've been doing anywhere between 30-50 miles generally but can't be sure exactly as I'm not sure my bike computer is set up exactly right.

jags

Guru
ah a man after my own heart :thumbsup: the great thorn sherpa i too have one what a great touring bike, but i don't think i would ever have the b...ls to put it through a tour like yours( bit of a homebird i'm afraid)
i was asking on an American forum about how to get a good nights sleep and a lot of them said get a hammock, so there must be some truth in it after all.
anyway buddy have a good one hope you get sunshine all the way.

Top Bottom