My First Sportive?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

abrooks100

Im after a little advice.
Im 24 and reasonably fit as I have played football along with many other sports all my life. I really caught the cycling bug at the beginning of summer 2009 after buying my first serious bike. A Specialized Sirrus Elite, although I am now slightly regretting this purchase and wish I had opted for a racing bike straight away.

I have been clocking up the miles training on my own and now and again with a friend on different routes within the North East (Cleveland).

I am yet to take part in an organised ride and I am wanting to take the leap this year. I am after some advice and information as to which organised rides / sportives people believe would be good for a first timer in the North East.

The obvious one I have my sights set on is the Northern Rock Cyclone in June, however I would like to get one or two under my belt first before tackling that as my first Sportive.

Any suggestions or advice will be welcomed.

Thanks

Adam

cyclecraig

The 1 thing I would say is before entering one is make sure you have ridden 100+ miles in 1 training ride.
Have you done this already?

If not then I would map out your own route round your local area,try and get a few friends on board is a good idea as well.Put in a few hills but not to brutal.Im sure you will do it no problem but if you do run into difficulties you can abandon and head for home.

Once you have done that then go ahead and get your entry forms in for any of them,have plenty of gears in reserve and ride within yourself for the 1st half.

There a great day out and very addictive!

Leadlegs

Adam, get yourself along to the Richmond CC sportive at the end of May. Entry is online, you can enter for any of the three distances offered and do which ever one you feel up to on the day. This is a superb event and an absolute bargain at £15.

The Cyclone is also a superb day out on a bike so you have made a good choice there.

Further west is the Howgill Hammer, this is a new one so I don't have any details, but as it's in April it should be good to get your training moving along nicely.

Before the day of you ride make sure that you can comfortably cover at least 80% of your target distance. You should then be able to suffer the rest of the way if need be.

515mm

Hi there! and welcome to the club........

Like the previous posters mention, build up to about 80% of your target distance in training rides. Increase your weekly TIME (not distance) on the bike by 10% every week for three weeks then cut back to 50% of the 3rd week's total training time on the 4th week. This is your recovery week - take it easy with no hard efforts, just go out ''for a spin''.

Break the week up into hour to hour and a half rides during the week with your longer ride on the weekend - 2hrs+ and make sure you have 2 clear days of no exercise. Recovery is vitally important, though you're 15 years younger than me, you lucky devil and so you'll recover pretty quickly.

week 5 is 10% longer time on bike than week 3 and so on through week 6 and 7. Week 8 is 50% of week 7 exercise time.

Right. A couple of months of that and your distances on the weekend should have come up nicely. 2hrs will have become 5hrs or so, with a bit of luck.

Plan circular routes and pay attention to the contour lines on the map. Close together means steep! Pay attention to wind speed and direction. I use

www.xcweather.co.uk

Make sure the wind will be behind you on the way home and also plan in an 'escape route' to shorten your ride should something go wrong like a mechanical issue.

Climbing hills. It's extremely useful to determine your aerobic/anaerobic threshold heart rate. Get a heart rate monitor/computer and learn to use it. On a day when you are feeling fresh and strong, warm up slowly for 15 mins - reset your heart monitor to zero and then ride a hard, best effort time trial for 30 minutes.
When the legs fill with lactate, back off the power only enough to enable you to keep going. It's not a flat out sprint, we need to find the highest heart rate you can maintain for a decent length of time. You could do an hour for greater accuracy, but if you've never done an ''Hour'' before it will prove very tough indeed.

The average heart rate on your monitor for that test will be within +/- 3 beats per minute of your anaerobic threshold. This figure (mine is currently 151bpm) is the rate you should maintain on climbs. If you repeatedly exceed this, you will tire yourself out prematurely and will struggle on the final climbs of your event. During training, however, push on up to your threshold and stay within +/- 5bpm of it on days you feel good. This will train your body to withstand lactic acid and cope with it more effectively. This time last year, mine was 136.............

On climbs, keep pushing on over the top and click up the gears on the decent, whilst applying just enough power to move up through the gears smoothly. You will recover well enough and help your body to remove the excess lactate from the muscles. At the foot of the decent, you will be moving much faster than if you merely freewheeled down, you will have retained momentum and be able to maintain a much higher cruising speed than normal for a short while.
Naturally, if you're going really fast, you should concentrate on maintaining control of your bike and shouting YEEE-HA! as loud as you can. This is very important.

On the flat sections, roll along at 10% under your threshold HR. You'll be able to maintain this fairly brisk pace for a very long time and cover a great deal of ground surprisingly quickly.

A final word on nutrition. It's a good idea to use an electrolyte sports drink like SIS Go during your rides. About an 800ml bottle per hour. On longer rides, eat also, little but often as soon as you get on the bike - Torq gels(delicious) and bars, Mule bars, Hi5 gels and the old favourite, Fig Rolls all work well for me. You're looking for a mix of complex carbs/simple sugars with a bit of protein but low fat. For 2hr+ rides, a sports drink that I've found to be particularly effective is Hi5 4:1 Energy Source. A couple of my pals use SIS PSP22 and swear by it, but it sits really heavily on my stomach and makes me want to chunder. It's a good idea to try as many kinds of sports nutrition products as you can during training so you know what products will work for you on the big day and you won't risk throwing up.

That's about as much as I can type at the mo'.

Best of Luck!

jimboalee

Leadlegs said:
Adam, get yourself along to the Richmond CC sportive at the end of May. Entry is online, you can enter for any of the three distances offered and do which ever one you feel up to on the day. This is a superb event and an absolute bargain at £15.

The Cyclone is also a superb day out on a bike so you have made a good choice there.

Further west is the Howgill Hammer, this is a new one so I don't have any details, but as it's in April it should be good to get your training moving along nicely.

Before the day of you ride make sure that you can comfortably cover at least 80% of your target distance. You should then be able to suffer the rest of the way if need be.

What is the prize money on this Sportive?

No prize money, NO suffering.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I prefer audaxes myself - cheaper, more relaxed and often better nosh.

Have a look on here to see if there are any local to you.

kfinlay

Must Try Harder
515mm said:
Hi there! and welcome to the club........

Like the previous posters mention, build up to about 80% of your target distance in training rides. Increase your weekly TIME (not distance) on the bike by 10% every week for three weeks then cut back to 50% of the 3rd week's total training time on the 4th week. This is your recovery week - take it easy with no hard efforts, just go out ''for a spin''.

Break the week up into hour to hour and a half rides during the week with your longer ride on the weekend - 2hrs+ and make sure you have 2 clear days of no exercise. Recovery is vitally important, though you're 15 years younger than me, you lucky devil and so you'll recover pretty quickly.

week 5 is 10% longer time on bike than week 3 and so on through week 6 and 7. Week 8 is 50% of week 7 exercise time.

Right. A couple of months of that and your distances on the weekend should have come up nicely. 2hrs will have become 5hrs or so, with a bit of luck.

Plan circular routes and pay attention to the contour lines on the map. Close together means steep! Pay attention to wind speed and direction. I use

www.xcweather.co.uk

Make sure the wind will be behind you on the way home and also plan in an 'escape route' to shorten your ride should something go wrong like a mechanical issue.

Climbing hills. It's extremely useful to determine your aerobic/anaerobic threshold heart rate. Get a heart rate monitor/computer and learn to use it. On a day when you are feeling fresh and strong, warm up slowly for 15 mins - reset your heart monitor to zero and then ride a hard, best effort time trial for 30 minutes.
When the legs fill with lactate, back off the power only enough to enable you to keep going. It's not a flat out sprint, we need to find the highest heart rate you can maintain for a decent length of time. You could do an hour for greater accuracy, but if you've never done an ''Hour'' before it will prove very tough indeed.

The average heart rate on your monitor for that test will be within +/- 3 beats per minute of your anaerobic threshold. This figure (mine is currently 151bpm) is the rate you should maintain on climbs. If you repeatedly exceed this, you will tire yourself out prematurely and will struggle on the final climbs of your event. During training, however, push on up to your threshold and stay within +/- 5bpm of it on days you feel good. This will train your body to withstand lactic acid and cope with it more effectively. This time last year, mine was 136.............

On climbs, keep pushing on over the top and click up the gears on the decent, whilst applying just enough power to move up through the gears smoothly. You will recover well enough and help your body to remove the excess lactate from the muscles. At the foot of the decent, you will be moving much faster than if you merely freewheeled down, you will have retained momentum and be able to maintain a much higher cruising speed than normal for a short while.
Naturally, if you're going really fast, you should concentrate on maintaining control of your bike and shouting YEEE-HA! as loud as you can. This is very important.

On the flat sections, roll along at 10% under your threshold HR. You'll be able to maintain this fairly brisk pace for a very long time and cover a great deal of ground surprisingly quickly.

A final word on nutrition. It's a good idea to use an electrolyte sports drink like SIS Go during your rides. About an 800ml bottle per hour. On longer rides, eat also, little but often as soon as you get on the bike - Torq gels(delicious) and bars, Mule bars, Hi5 gels and the old favourite, Fig Rolls all work well for me. You're looking for a mix of complex carbs/simple sugars with a bit of protein but low fat. For 2hr+ rides, a sports drink that I've found to be particularly effective is Hi5 4:1 Energy Source. A couple of my pals use SIS PSP22 and swear by it, but it sits really heavily on my stomach and makes me want to chunder. It's a good idea to try as many kinds of sports nutrition products as you can during training so you know what products will work for you on the big day and you won't risk throwing up.

That's about as much as I can type at the mo'.

Best of Luck!

Lots of great advice there mate, I've got my first one in May so many thanks - hope that weather site is better than BBC ;)

515mm

You're very welcome. There is a bit more I could clarify and/or add but I tried to be concise. Best of luck to you - sportives are great fun. Try and overcome one's natural British reserve and chat to the other participants - most folks are jolly friendly and more than happy to ride with you and chat at the same time. You'll spot the racing snakes by their demeanour - they tend not to talk much - they will be concentrating hard on getting a best time and will be way, way, faster than you or me. They may appear a bit stand-offish. They aren't - they just have their game faces on! Try and find a Geordie, Scouser or a Taf(like me) We'll keep you talking for longer than you may want!

And yes, xcweather is much better than the BBC. Take a look at the ''observations'' page and click on the arrow nearest you. You can see what the wind was like for the last few hours as well as what it will be like in the future. Good for discerning trends.

Have Fun!

Top Bottom