My first tour.....ever

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
As a bit of a last minute jobby, I fly to Bavaria tomorrow and have till next wednesday to explore. I will be based in the town of Oberstdorf, and going out for jaunts in the local area. boy, I can't wait. Watch this space for updates / photos.:ohmy::biggrin::biggrin::becool:B)

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Fab - lucky git. Have an amazing time!!! We want photos!!

OP
OP
ComedyPilot

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Thanks all. Oberstdorf is one of my favourite destinations for skiing and adventure sports, so I will be canoeing/kayaking, hill walking, mountain biking and.......shhh......drinking copious amounts of local bier. No tour as such, but will spend a lot of time mooching round on a bike in the local area. I'm off alone, but don't worry, I speak german, so will get by fine. Unless that is I get stopped getting on a bus in some wierd Great Escape scenario...."Entschuldigen sie bitte, zeigen sie mir ihre fahrkarte, wo ist ihre fahrkarte....alles in ordnung.....GOOD LUCK...Thanks....doh"

OP
OP
ComedyPilot

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Well, am here in one piece, all going fine. Did about 50 miles yesterday, almost all on prepared tracks through woods. Also did a bit of climbing up the world's steepest hill, at least it felt like it!! Pics when I get back. Out today on same track, and watched an old man feeding squirrels. So cute. I then wondered what the scratching was on my leg only to look down and see one of the little ones climbing up me!! ha ha. Got to go and get more miles under the belt.

OP
OP
ComedyPilot

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Climbed up out of Oberstdorf on Sunday towards Faistenoy, gentle climb for first 6 miles or so, then it went skywards!!! They don't have hills like this where I come from!! Yesterday I rode east rom Sonthofen towards Oberjoch and climbed the Oberjoch pass. Stopped for lunch at Oberjoch, then cycled back to the hotel in Oberstdorf just before a massive thunderstorm hit.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
If you're daft enough to go up the Oberjoch all I can say is:

You're a better man than I am Gunga Din.

OP
OP
ComedyPilot

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Andy in Sig said:
If you're daft enough to go up the Oberjoch all I can say is:

You're a better man than I am Gunga Din.

Been there, done it, got the (sweaty) t-shirt to prove it! xx(:ohmy: ha ha

Oberjoch was the place I learnt to ski over 24 years ago. The ride from Oberstdorf to Sonthofen is nice and gentle along the Iller river, then it climbs gradually to Bad Hindelang, but after Bad Hindelang it goes all Pete Tong until you get to Oberjoch. Good views though.:smile:

OP
OP
ComedyPilot

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
After lunch at Oberjoch I re-traced my route down the hill. Suffice to say I got down in no time at all. I think years of sports motorbiking has helped with speed perception. I overtook 5 blokes on tricked up roadies and didn't see them again till after Bad Hindelang when they ovetook me in a chaingang. Overtook half a dozen cars on the way down too!

Top Bottom