My first...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mmace

this morning was the first time...
I'd ridden a bike in around 18 years
I've taken more than 10 minutes to get to work
I've sweated getting to work
I've enjoyed getting to work!

I made my first commute this morning on a bike I bought yesterday but because of some bad family stuff at the moment I have no chance to ride it to ease into it on a night so when I got on it this morning it was a first for everything, I had to figure out the gears etc as I went!

it's only 3.2 miles but it's all uphill so I'm proud of what i managed. I went a bit too fast in the first 10 mins and ended up having to walk for 2 mins to get my breath but was fine after that. I had no idea it would be so difficult, I'm normally quite fit and can run or train in the gym as hard as anyone, I didn't think my T-shirt would get so wet!

Passed 1 cyclist who said morning (while I was walking!!), after some of the stuff on here I thought I would be snubbed!

I really enjoyed it, my thighs are burning and I'll ache like mad tomorrow but can't wait to do it again (may leave it til Friday so I don't burn out too fast)

thanks to everyone on here for their help and advise in the past!

sjb

Well done, the first step is the hardest but once made you'll carry on for sure. Soon you'll be looking for a longer route to work cos you're enjoying the cycling so much......

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Write down the time it takes ... its going to improve ... I remember a hill I couldn't make it up to the top ... gradually I improved the point where I got off and walked until the time I cycled the whole way up, almost died at the top - but I was elated (?spelling).

And remember to still keep asking questions.

Brock

Good work mmace. Remember, the weather is almost never as bad as it looks through your bedroom window first thing in the morning. :angry:

OP
OP
M

mmace

Brock said:
Good work mmace. Remember, the weather is almost never as bad as it looks through your bedroom window first thing in the morning. :angry:
oh, I know that, it's never put me off, I used to go running at 6AM every morning in all weather, everyone said I was mad but it's fine once you're out there, especially this time of year when it's getting warmer!
just got to get used to getting up at 5:50 for cycling now as I start at 7AM and I have a baby that doesn't like to sleep all night!

Brock

I was just having a look at your route in Google Earth, looks like quite a long drag up that hill!

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Nice one mmace! Join BikeJournal.com - there's a cycle chat club on there, and you can have the fun of recording your mileage and watching your average speed go up and up. I find it very satisfying to record my rides, and then you can amaze your mates with the mileage you do on your bike.

Well done and welcome to the club! :angry:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Good job!

If you find you're sweating, a good cycling jersey (or "technical" t-shirt) will be a bit more comfortable than a regular t-shirt.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Nice one!

A cycling jersey, or a "technical" t-shirt might be a better bet than a regular cotton one if you get sweaty, btw - will feel much more comfortable.

BentMikey said:
Nice one mmace! Join BikeJournal.com - there's a cycle chat club on there, and you can have the fun of recording your mileage and watching your average speed go up and up.

Or Cyclogs, which also has a cyclechat team...

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
"I've enjoyed getting to work!"

Good isn't it. I was thinking the same thing this morning.

20 years of commuting and I still like it, even when it rains.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Good for you. mmace !

The aches and pains will soon be a memory, and in no time at all you'll be racing yourself to beat that personal best time.

Top Bottom