My fitness is improving.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sonofpear

So I've had my bike for 4 weeks now and already I'm starting to see improvements. The first couple of rides were hard on my butt but I think that's hardening up now. During the week I've been using the same 15 mile course along the coast where I live about 2 or 3 times a week and over these last couple of weeks I've seen my times come down steadily and my average speed rise through 14,15,16,17 and last night 18mph. I'm pretty happy with my results so far and I'm really enjoying pushing myself as hard as I can. Weekends I've been doing 30-40 milers and plan to keep pushing this a bit further.
Most of all I'm just loving being able to get out and enjoy riding and getting some much needed fitness. My girlfriend says she has become a widow to the bike but she understands I need a little something in my life as a way of release after kind of giving up the bmx riding.

Strick

Sounds like youre heading the right way. Well done, keep it up.
As soon as im back off holiday, my aim is to commute 2-3 times per week (to start off with! lol).

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Strange you should mention that my best commute time is a 2-3mph and 8 minutes quicker than when I got back in March, what I find more intriging is that my average HR has gone from 139 to 120 and MHR on the biggest hill from 158 to 142. Which I am hoping is the better indicator for my fitness level and not a sign I am about to keel over.

My only problem is that I am now feeling that my 55 minute to one hour commute is not such a good CV workout as it was when I started out, and I am struggling to increase my avg HR although I am going quicker and feel I am putting in extra effort.

Globalti

Legendary Member
So I've had my bike for 4 weeks now and already I'm starting to see improvements. The first couple of rides were hard on my butt but I think that's hardening up now. During the week I've been using the same 15 mile course along the coast where I live about 2 or 3 times a week and over these last couple of weeks I've seen my times come down steadily and my average speed rise through 14,15,16,17 and last night 18mph. I'm pretty happy with my results so far and I'm really enjoying pushing myself as hard as I can. Weekends I've been doing 30-40 milers and plan to keep pushing this a bit further.
Most of all I'm just loving being able to get out and enjoy riding and getting some much needed fitness. My girlfriend says she has become a widow to the bike but she understands I need a little something in my life as a way of release after kind of giving up the bmx riding.

I rode mountain bikes for the first 22 years as a reborn cyclist and I was reasonably fit but since I took up road riding two years ago my fitness has rocketed and I'm now fitter than I've ever been in my life. I just regret that I didn't do this 22 years ago because I'd have done much better in the MTB events like Polaris and races that I undertook.

OP
OP
Sonofpear

Sonofpear

Strange you should mention that my best commute time is a 2-3mph and 8 minutes quicker than when I got back in March, what I find more intriging is that my average HR has gone from 139 to 120 and MHR on the biggest hill from 158 to 142. Which I am hoping is the better indicator for my fitness level and not a sign I am about to keel over.

My only problem is that I am now feeling that my 55 minute to one hour commute is not such a good CV workout as it was when I started out, and I am struggling to increase my avg HR although I am going quicker and feel I am putting in extra effort.

I've no idea what my HR is as I don't have a monitor. But I can feel at times it's working hard. As I'm asthmatic I'm finding myself a bit breathless at times and sometimes have to ease off and get my breathing back in control. After a few more weeks of my current training route I'm gonna extend it a little. I've also had a few tips from friends about pedaling and technique which seems to have helped. I'm also getting clipless pedals and shoes this weekend, at the minute I just have normal pedals with straps and I've been having some issues with them.

OP
OP
Sonofpear

Sonofpear

I rode mountain bikes for the first 22 years as a reborn cyclist and I was reasonably fit but since I took up road riding two years ago my fitness has rocketed and I'm now fitter than I've ever been in my life. I just regret that I didn't do this 22 years ago because I'd have done much better in the MTB events like Polaris and races that I undertook.

I tried mtb's before I got into bmx which I've done for the past 10 years or so. We regularly did 20-30 miles which is hard work on a little bmx where your constantly standing up to pedal, whilst doing tricks and jumps in-between. . Injuries and age have taken their toll so I've bought my first road bike, something that I've always been interested in and enjoyed watching. Like you I wish I'd done it years ago. I'm loving it.

abo

Change down a sprocket :tongue:

So I've had my bike for 4 weeks now and already I'm starting to see improvements. I'm pretty happy with my results so far and I'm really enjoying pushing myself

Excellent - a wonderful feeling which should continue.

My girlfriend says she has become a widow to the bike

This is also likely to get worse!!!

OP
OP
Sonofpear

Sonofpear

Haha yeah I've told her it's gonna get worse. Especially as the weather is getting nicer.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
OK, tell her this:

With a bike, you are always looking for 1 more bike. The ideal number of bikes is N+1, where N is the number of bikes that you currently own.

Whereas with her, she is all that you want - you'll never want to have another girlfriend. So she is always loved more than your bike.

Unless you are Ryan Giggs, that is....

VamP

Banned

It's a good feeling isn't it?

I did 66 miles with 4000ft of climbing on Saturday, and was absolutely knackered by the end of it - but it felt great!

Beverley (my Bianchi has obviously picked up a cutsie name) has now 450 miles on the clock, and is booked for her first service. I am still in :wub:

OP
OP
Sonofpear

Sonofpear

It's a good feeling isn't it?

I did 66 miles with 4000ft of climbing on Saturday, and was absolutely knackered by the end of it - but it felt great!

Beverley (my Bianchi has obviously picked up a cutsie name) has now 450 miles on the clock, and is booked for her first service. I am still in :wub:

Yeah I feels great getting out and getting some fitness back. Haven't been able to get out much this past week, weather and family commitments have been conspiring against me. I did manage to get some clipless pedals and shoes sorted out this weekend, although I haven't had a decent run out in them yet.
That sounds like a hefty ride vamp. There's not a lot of climbing to be done round where I live. There's a couple of small hills but nothing major.

VamP

Banned
Yeah I feels great getting out and getting some fitness back. Haven't been able to get out much this past week, weather and family commitments have been conspiring against me. I did manage to get some clipless pedals and shoes sorted out this weekend, although I haven't had a decent run out in them yet.
That sounds like a hefty ride vamp. There's not a lot of climbing to be done round where I live. There's a couple of small hills but nothing major.

Just had a peek on the map, and yeah, I guess all the hills are on the other side from you, out Cumbria way. Still, you probably get plenty of a fitness work out battling against the coastal winds.

You're gonna love the clipless pedals - I would not consider going back, and now am looking at putting clipless on my retro mountain bike as well. As well as the as yet unannounced new mountain bike that's very hush hush in the pipeline.

Don't know about N+1, I seem to be operating on N+2 now :biggrin:

VamP

Banned
OK, tell her this:

With a bike, you are always looking for 1 more bike. The ideal number of bikes is N+1, where N is the number of bikes that you currently own.

Whereas with her, she is all that you want - you'll never want to have another girlfriend. So she is always loved more than your bike.

Unless you are Ryan Giggs, that is....

Have you actually tried this on a real live breathing woman?

I wouldn't... it kinda introduces both the concept of joint funds disappearing up the chimney of ever spiralling cycling ambitions, while at the same time somehow managing to cast doubts on your continuing fidelity if she doesn't share your enthusiasm for N+1 :smile:

Top Bottom