my flipping knees!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

teletext45

Right i need some pointers on here because someone here must suffer a similar problem. I suffer with over-pronation which means my right foot is 'duck footed' i.e it points outwards. This causes some problems with cleats, mainly my foot just feels like this trying to twist and roll. After a decent cycling session i begin to suffer fatigue on my right leg really quickly along with muscular pain.

Has anyone had any similar problems? any resolution maybe with the use of insoles?

andy

Pedals with a lot of free float like Time Atac, Eggbeaters or Frogs.

doctornige

I have a knee geometry problem so bad that I gave to unclip with an INWARD twist on my right leg, but with an outward one on the left. The right leg is functionally shorter than the left (by about half an inch) and I walk like a toned down Kaiser Soze. My right leg can feel very strange, particularly when climbing. I focus on having the cross bar brush both thighs very slightly (not in a sexual way!) and that mostly keeps the geometry in check. I use max float Keo cleats with a slack pedal setting.

OP
OP
teletext45

teletext45

i use 2 bolt spds, but my left foot rolls in my shoes. I've been looking into wedges but if i go down that route could cause alot of problems

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
I've had a similar problem (foot pronates and tries to turn out on the down-stroke) and I'd recommend trying to find a physio who understands cycling and clipless pedals (not always easy!). I found one who suggested wedges, and got them sorted out as part of a bike fit so the fitter could check my knee was in the correct alignment etc. They have definitely helped, though I have aslo changed my pedals:
Pedals with a lot of free float like Time Atac, Eggbeaters or Frogs.
I always liked Time Atacs, but have changed from Time Atacs to Shimano A520 - they still have a lot of float, but your foot has a bigger contact point on the pedal which stops your shoes rolling around.

Edge705

Right i need some pointers on here because someone here must suffer a similar problem. I suffer with over-pronation which means my right foot is 'duck footed' i.e it points outwards. This causes some problems with cleats, mainly my foot just feels like this trying to twist and roll. After a decent cycling session i begin to suffer fatigue on my right leg really quickly along with muscular pain.

Has anyone had any similar problems? any resolution maybe with the use of insoles?

andy

Go spend £80 for a private podiatrist session it'l be the best money you'll ever spend certainly opened my eyes when I saw what they can do

ushills

Veteran
I too suffer from overpronation in my left foot and use Time Atacs, however, I still have the cleat on my shoes at such a weird angle that my shoe rubs on the crank arm. However, I now have no knee issue.

Check your cleat position, the way I was told to do this was to sit on a table and let your legs dangle naturally, lift your feet till they are horizontal and imagine a line through your heel to the middle of your forefoot, this is the angle that your cleat needs to be set at as this is your foots natural position. You may end up with a strange angle.

With this setup I cannot feel the tension in the cleat when peddling and I therefore have some float with the peddle without resistance. With shimano pedals I found they fixed my foot in position and peddles with float are necessary.

If I had the option/funds I would go for frogs or similar as they have more float but the atacs suit me now following correct setup.

Blue

Legendary Member
As well as the position of the cleats, think about arch support. Over pronation usually means flat feet. Giro sell a cycling insole that comes with a number of arch supports so that you can find the one that suits personal requirements - they have been very useful to me, a fellow overpronator.

OP
OP
teletext45

teletext45

Ok went to the podatrist and she advised there there is a slight bowing in my tibia which is causing my knee and ankle to be out of allignment. Short theres nothing they can do unless they break my leg and re=set it with pins. However, they have recomended some physio and leg exercises which will help yo develop my muscular composition relieving some of the strain. In addition to this i've been given some insoles which, although don't cure, help to improve my knee alignment. So i'm going to get used to these insoles and eventually put them into my cycling shoes and then see if i can adjust my cleats accordingly. Quite positive really :smile:

Top Bottom