My German tour this summer...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
...appears to be back on after a medical scare, although not 100% certain yet.

I'm going to 'do' the Romantische Strasse but I remember someone (Andy in Sig?) recommending another place worth visiting beginning with B. Is it likely to be Bamburg, which I could include.

A bit vague but you're a clever lot!

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Bamberg. Stay two nights and during the day between take the bikes on the local train in the morning to Lichtenfels and pedal up the hill to the church of Vierzehnheiligen: it must have the most beautifully stunning interior of any building I've ever seen, then pedal back to Bamberg and enjoy the town. More or less the whole place is one of those UNESCO cultural things. There's a campsite but if your budget runs to a hotel, then I would recommend Die Wilde Rose at Kesslergasse 7.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Perfect Andy! Many thanks. I intend to start in Bamberg then and leave the car for the duration in the hotel car park if possible, getting the train back from Fussen or Munich. The hotel recommendation will be perfect.

I vaguely remember reading a crazyguy by two Yanks who did a brewery tour and visited one in Bamberg? Does that ring any bells?

p.s. not the yanks, the brewery!

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
They were probably on about Bamberger Rauchbier. I've only ever managed to finish one glass of it and whereas normally you swill down a meal with the drink, on that occasion I needed to order some goose and dumpling to help with the beer!

I don't think you will manage to leave your car at Die Wilde Rose as it is exactly where you want a hotel to be in Bamberg (in the pedestrian zone and on the edge of the old town). There's room for the bikes in the courtyard but not cars. Check out the multi storey car parks as if you are splitting the costs with your mates, it should be affordable. You could also phone the tourist info office who may well be able to advise in this area. http://www.bamberg.info/ Click on the language thing in the top RH corner if the German is a bit difficult.

There are loads and loads of historical things to see in the town and the tourist office does a leaflet with a recommended walking tour. I would recommend following that when you decide to do the town in the afternoon as it will get you to all the things worth seeing. Then it's just a matter of finding a restaurant (there's a nice one in a courtyard about 100 yds from the Rauchbier place if I remember aright) followed by a decent pub or Weinstube.

Incidentally, if you follow the River Main down to the Romantische Strasse, do an overnight stop in a wine village called Volkach where you must eat at the zur Schwane restaurant. The food is excellent, really excellent although the hotel bit is very expensive and so you should stay at one of the other ones. Würzburg is another good overnight stop: eat and drink at Haus des Frankenweins where you can sample the selection of the best wines in Bavaria, buy a case and get it sent home. The restaurant is very good indeed.

Gotte

I envy you your trip. I've been to Germany the last four years and loved it. Last year we went to Bavaria. Great area. Little further south than where you're going, but still great. The infrastructure is second to none. All the best.

U

User169

I vaguely remember reading a crazyguy by two Yanks who did a brewery tour and visited one in Bamberg? Does that ring any bells?

More than likely it would be Schlenkerla.

http://www.schlenkerla.de/indexe.html

I'd second Vierzehnheilingen, if only because there's a little brewery there with a nice beer garden: "Alte Klosterbrauerei Vierzehnheilingen Braurerei Trunk"

Top Bottom