My new 2nd hand N+1....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

P1000797.jpg

A Raleigh Competition... maybe late 70s or early 80s. Reynolds 531. Weinmann levers and brakes. Sachs-Mallard hubs and Mavic 192 rims. Stronglight cranks, Suntour front mech and Shimano RX100 rear.

€40 from a 2nd hand store. I'm rather pleased with it :smile: It rides well... that bar tape will be changed SOON! ;)

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Classic lines, Yello. The bar tape sadly has to go although Mort has a point.

OP
OP
Y

yello

I know what you mean Keith. When I went to raise the handlebars, I had to check Zinn because I wanted to check on how quill stems work! It's all changed on today's bikes! On the plus side, at least I could raise them. Similarly, I might need to 'toe in' the front breaks... I'll probably have to bend the calipers to achieve that since there's no pad adjustment like today!

I've swapped the saddle (nice to have spares around!) and removed the bar tape. I'll post another pic when I'm all done.

OP
OP
Y

yello

Just googling around for info, I saw a Raleigh Competition on ebay and they're asking £260 (what they'll get is another matter!) It's very similar to mine; my frame is in better condition and some of the components are different but comparable.

Made me think though - would I flog mine for £200 profit? Damned right I would!

Globalti

Legendary Member
My very first road bike was a Peugeot Performance 3000 of 1990s vintage that I bought in almost new condition for £150, kept for two years then sold on for £100 to a bloke who uses it every day and is so happy that he is still thanking me for it every time we email!

Top Bottom