My new (old) winter ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris-H

Über Member
I had a winter resto plannned which i was looking forward to,finding the frame and scourcing the parts etc,had a picture in my mind of how i wanted it to look and ride.budgeted approx 150 pounds ish to do it,then this came up on ebay...............its exactly what i had in mind to build,an old racing frame,painted white,straight bars,thumb shifters etc etc,won it for 46 pounds and the chap even delivered it to my door(21 miles) fre of charge.I've had to replace the handlebars as it had black straights on but was too narrow for me and slightly too low,had these bars from a hybrid hanging around,added a new d lock,saddle bag.The bike has just had new tyres,tubes,front mech,all new cables inner and outer,new crank bearings,headset bearings,wheel bearings and been freshly painted,an absolute bargain i'm sure you'll agree.Rides superb,handles grit trails well,very comfy and extremely fast.It also has an eliptical crank,its oval as opposed to round to eleviate the dead spot when the pedals are at 6 and 12 o'clock,thats what i was told anyway,its definatly slightly oval though.Theres a few extra bits i want to do to it but in the meantime heres a few pics.Any suggestions on frame make and year would be much appreciated.Th only downside is theres no mudguard clearance so i'm going to be getting wet feet and back when it rains.Also theres no mounting holes for pannier rack so i've brought a seat post mounted one.Oh and i removed the toe straps.
newwinterbike007.jpg

newwinterbike002.jpg

newwinterbike003.jpg

newwinterbike006.jpg

newwinterbike005.jpg

newwinterbike001.jpg

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
prunat lugs, by the look of it. looks good.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
chris is the one from rushden ! i looked at it then forgot all about it good spot .

prunat lugs are a brand of lugs and a very good brand at that

OP
OP
Chris-H

Chris-H

Über Member
chris is the one from rushden ! i looked at it then forgot all about it good spot .

prunat lugs are a brand of lugs and a very good brand at that
Yup it is the one from Rushden,so pleased you forgot about it i put a 90 quid bid on it so the less bidders the more i save,certainly a very good buy though,just the lack of mudguard clearance that is a bit of a pig.
So if the lugs are a very good brand then the frame is a good un then too? Dont suppose you have any idea as to manufacturer?

OP
OP
Chris-H

Chris-H

Über Member
Maybe it is an optical illusion caused by the vertical door planks behind?
Possibly its just that the wheel looks very close to the frame,might just be the wayy it is,it rides absolutely fine and straight though.

Zoiders

Looks like a TI/Raleigh with those plain lugs.

How you can say they are Prugnats though is beyond me, Raleigh would have had years old stockpiles of mass produced lugs in all manner of shapes.

Goldie

Über Member
Chris-H: does it have a serial number anywhere? Raliegh were fond of sticking them on the back of seat tube at the top. Also, measure your seat post diameter if you get a minute - if it's 27 or 27.2, your frame'll be made of something tasty.

No mudguard clearance suggests meant to go fast to me... Some of the details (lug design, the single looped guides for the rear brake cable on the top tube) match my early '90's British Eagle.

OP
OP
Chris-H

Chris-H

Über Member
Ta for that mate,will pop out and have a measure up in the morning,i think it was built for speed though cos it really does move,the gears are a bit higher than my road bike,hills are a bit tougher but thankfully theres not that many on my daily rides and i dont mind the extra effort anyway as it only helps to strengthen my leg muscles over the winter period.

Top Bottom