My old Raleigh Lizard

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colin

Hi , i am new ti Cycle Chat but here is my bike, it is a old Raleigh Lizard . It rides like new and i love it to bits
rmurgm.jpg

Enso108

Formerly OselLing
Nice one Colin, that takes me back, I had one of those a few years back. I did a good few miles around south London on it.;)

Looks good to me Colin,seems to be in very good condition.I have 3 bikes an off roader an on roader and my general hack which fits preety much with yours, This is the one I use/like most !

OP
OP
colin

colin

It goes touring two , this pic is from a one day tour on the canal
2hdpuvm.jpg

fwioo4.jpg

BTW Badger, i like your hack. Is it made up from spear bike parts i think i read, looks real cool.
GB-Locks Hi, mine is the only lizard i have seen and none on ebay aswell. Are they a bit thin on the ground now..

That was one of the most common bikes around at one point, I've worked on scores of them over the years. What year is it? Circa '89 IIRC. I like your upgrades colin, the orig brakes and wheels were less than er ... optimal.

longers

Legendary Member
Was there a purple/lilac version? My sister had one and a friend also.

Good to see one still being enjoyed and well ridden xx(

OP
OP
colin

colin

mickle said:
That was one of the most common bikes around at one point, I've worked on scores of them over the years. What year is it? Circa '89 IIRC. I like your upgrades colin, the orig brakes and wheels were less than er ... optimal.

Hi Mickle, Not sure of the year but i think must be from 89/90 maybe. the orig wheels were rusty so i changed them for some crossers , and put V-brakes on as the orig ones were ...less than er ... optimal.:tongue:
The V-brakes are a big improvement and are original Raleigh.

Hi longers, I think the purple/lilac ones were the mavericks....i think!!, could be wrong though.xx(

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That's a proper work horse that - great condition......

OP
OP
colin

colin

fossyant said:
That's a proper work horse that - great condition......

Hi,
I have been told that before. I have an Falcon Trekker with alloy frame at only 18 months old and it does not ride as smooth as the Lizard, the Trekker creaks a lot.

Brahan

Über Member
longers said:
Was there a purple/lilac version? My sister had one and a friend also.

Good to see one still being enjoyed and well ridden :tongue:

The Purple one that Raleigh had out at the same time was called a Mustang I believe. It was kind of blotchy purple. May mate had one but it wasnt as good as my Lizard - I loved it. I remember 'ghosting' it time after time and it never bent or buckled. YES - It had massive thick shiny rims.

OP
OP
colin

colin

Brahan said:
The Purple one that Raleigh had out at the same time was called a Mustang I believe. It was kind of blotchy purple. May mate had one but it wasnt as good as my Lizard - I loved it. I remember 'ghosting' it time after time and it never bent or buckled. YES - It had massive thick shiny rims.

Wow you had a Lizard....how much were thay when new i wonder. I must admit i love mine two

nothernmonkee

Hi Colin nice to see ur old lizard is up and running. I,ve got one stowed away in the shed totally original though a wheel is badly buckled after a mate was forced into a kerb by a passing truck on his way home from work and he went over the handlebars doing serious damage to his shoulder he still kindly managed to drag it back and throw it in my back garden.
When they first came out they cost £210 pounds new from halfords and the usual catalogues back in 1990 i got it for chrimbo new as a kid.
seeing yours on here has inspired me to get it back in order !!

Im not too clued up on bikes tho i would like to replace the wheels and possibly the brakes and get it back up and running, are modern wheels all to the same standard or are there specifics i need to look for when buying replacement wheels ie for the original shimano gears to fit ??

whats the likely hood of getting a front disc brake to work ??
can u get the disc caliper to clamp onto the forks or do u need specific bolt holes in the forks ??

another problem mine had was that the handlebar bearing would creak and groan and seamed sloppy with movement back and forth do u get this ??

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
That's great that is. Sort of reminds me of the Muddy Fox Courier Comp I used as a commuter for about 12 years from 1990-ish (by far my longest-lasting and cheapest to run commuter bike ever)

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
I had a purple Mustang just like that Lizard.
Must have been at least 20 years ago. Replaced it with a raleigh activator, with a 'plush' 50mm of elastomer travel :rolleyes:

Top Bottom