My puter is telling me something ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

danphoto

Running W7 Pro 64-bit (with SP1) on a good-quality PC custom-made for image processing, and today I've had the following box come up twice after the screen went black momentarily. It happened once yesterday too. I suspect it's Bill Gates telling me that something's about to go on the blink, but what, pray?

Display driver stopped responding and has recovered.
Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver version 258.96 stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Any ideas, please?

You could try updating the video driver to the latest version, but if it has been working fine up until now, I suspect that the video card is getting hot or has not got enough power getting to it for some reason.

First thing to try is to update the video drivers.

Second thing I would try is to switch the pc off at the mains, but leave it plugged in. Then open the case up and try and remove any fluff\dust especially from vents on the graphics card or PSU - a PLASTIC (not metal) hoover nozzle or a can of compressed air can work wonders. This often helps get the air flowing inside the case again allowing to stay at a normal operating temperature and not overheating. It is amazing how much fluff can accumulate in a PC, especially if there are pets in the house.
Before putting the side of the case back on, turn it on and make sure all the fans are spinning and not broken. Then put the case back on and test it again.

ACS

Legendary Member
If you Google Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver version 258.96 stopped responding and has successfully recovered you will find lots of chatter on the Nvidia users forum and many other places. If appears to be a common issue that can be triggered by a number of different circumstances.

OP
OP
danphoto

danphoto

If you Google Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver version 258.96 stopped responding and has successfully recovered you will find lots of chatter on the Nvidia users forum and many other places. If appears to be a common issue that can be triggered by a number of different circumstances.

What a dickhead I am, ACS. I should have done that in the first place

(Love the sig, btw)

Ref overheating, that's one thing I'm totally anal about. Big case, extra fans, intake filter cleaned on the first of the month come what may, inside of case Hoovered every other month ...

What nVidia card do you have in there danphoto? and how old is it?

re: the cleaning, well that rules out a choked fan or something then, which is great...but it doesn't rule out the card overheating due to a defect on it unfortunately.

Short of reinstalling Windows to prove that it is not a software or driver conflict, the easiest thing to would be to try and plug it in to another PC if you can.

I suspect either a faulty card, powersupply or software conflict, in order of likelyhood imo.

Sorry I can't be more precise.

OP
OP
danphoto

danphoto

Thanks 2loose. I'm a bit too busy right now to devote much time to this, but if it gets to be a problem, I'll have to.

At present it's just a minor embuggerance.

Top Bottom