My ride tomorrow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So I'm training for the Trossachs Ton (see my sig below). I thought I'd better get some miles and hills in before then, so I am doing this tomorrow.

In fact if it works out well, I think this may be my main training route, with possibly one attempt at doing it twice before the main day.

Action Medical Resaerch also know about my helmet camera stuff, so they have asked me to film my ride tomorrow (some of the route will be the same as the T Ton) and they will post it on their website, to encourage others to take part.

Do you think I should leave the heavy breathing in, or edit it out?:biggrin:

Seriously if I do get some footage, would anyone be willing to help edit it for them?

Wish me luck!:tongue:

ACS

Legendary Member
Forecast is good, have a good day. Fast laddie like you should have that loop knocked out in under 4 hours, back home for tea and medals by lunch, nay wuckin' forries. :biggrin:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

satans budgie said:
Forecast is good, have a good day. Fast laddie like you should have that loop knocked out in under 4 hours, back home for tea and medals by lunch, nay wuckin' forries. ;)

Mmm. We'll see.

It will be my first real challanging ride on my own, so it should be interesting. :wacko:

longers

Legendary Member
I don't know the area but having clicked on the satellite view of the route, it looks great!

You're fit enough, enjoy it ;)

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Flashy new bike ...........

........ 10 mile/day commute ...........

......... day away from the family ;) ...............

...... no worries, Mags, you'll love it !

and there are bound to be coffee and cake shops on the way :wacko:

Have a good one :sad:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Actually I've just realised that to get the correct video I need to go the oppsite way to how I planned. Oh well, best to get the crow road out the way early! ;):wacko:

P.S. I need to be home for my family visiting in the afternoon, so I can't trundle too much!

OP
OP
M

magnatom

I'm back! Blimey that was a tough ride. Crow road (from Lennoxtown, going north) was pretty hard going for me. The combination of the hill, the headwind (I noticed all the other cyclist were coming the other way!) and my less than ideal gearing 50-34/11-23 meant that a few stops on the way up were required!:biggrin:

However, despite being a hard ride for me I enjoyed it. I think I might have deviated from my planned route a little, I'll work that out later, but my computer (I'd better check it is set right!) says I averaged 15.4 (not including the stops!), over 40.49 miles. My ride time was 2 hours 36 minutes, (total time including stops was 3 hours 15 mins).
Some great scenery, which I might get to enjoy when I look at the video. I got about an hour and 40 mins video, but I missed the first half of the climb as a cable had come out (it would just be full of expletives anyway!). I'll get some video up of the downhill section when I can....wheeee (although muted because of that damn headwind!:laugh:)

Lessons learned: I need to ride hills like this more, I need to pay attention to the wind direction and I think I will be going for another cassette (12-27)!

Now I just need to wait until the stiffness sets in tomorrow!

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Good stuff Mags, think the 12-27 cassette makes sense, still gives a big gear of 109 inches. But it should give you two gears lower than the previois 39 inch low, at 37 and 33. With a big of 109 inches I'd be running out of bottle long before I came close to spinning it out:biggrin:

MacBludgeon said:
Good stuff Mags, think the 12-27 cassette makes sense, still gives a big gear of 109 inches. But it should give you two gears lower than the previois 39 inch low, at 37 and 33. With a big of 109 inches I'd be running out of bottle long before I came close to spinning it out:biggrin:

I'd agree with all of that. Change thy cassette Maggers. Oh! and don't forget to tie a rope to HLAB at the beginning of the Ton run.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

scoosh said:
But he's aiming for a sub 4hr ride :tongue:
Aye and he's just trying to freak me out. All this talk of the Dukes pass being steeper. Must be nonsense. You'd be cycling upside down surely!:thumbsup:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

I did the same run today and I managed an average speed of 16.5mph compared to 15.4mh last week. Well chuffed! (total time from home to home of 2 hours 43)

A number of factors contributed to this. I knew what was ahead of me, so I didn't thrash myself before the big climb. I really gave the climb a good go this time (occasionally stood up to rest the legs a bit) and managed to do it with just one stop (and that was to take photos), the wind was behind me on the climb (although in my face heading west after the climb), I had more fluid with me, so was better hydrated, I didn't have my rucksack/camera and I was determined to do better.

I might actually manage the ton after all! :sun:

P.S. I realise that my time still isn't up to club standard, but I'm happy and that is what matters! :evil:

Top Bottom