My son is a dog

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Pig

Turns out my fourteen-year-old son has 'super' hearing.

Far ages he's been moaning about high-pitches squeals off of TV sets etc, basically stuff only dogs should be able to hear. He bangs the doors shut when we put the TV on, makes a big fuss about it, so after a trip to the GP a few months ago he finally got his hearing tested today.

He's got super hearing, way above what is normal. Doctor says he should be pleased! Going to start calling him Fido, he'll like that :0)

tyred

Legendary Member
I had a schoolteacher who had super hearing. Even when he was writing on the blackboard with his back to the class, he could even the slightest whisper, rustle of sweetie papers or any sound at all. Bloody annoying and spoiled the fun in that class.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Reminds me of something I read about that Mosquito device that was supposed to stop hoodies congregating by emitting a constant irritating noise pitched too high for adult ears to register it. Apparently all the kids have been recording it and using it as a ringtone so they can recieve calls during lessons.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
[quote name='swee'pea99']Reminds me of something I read about that Mosquito device that was supposed to stop hoodies congregating by emitting a constant irritating noise pitched too high for adult ears to register it. Apparently all the kids have been recording it and using it as a ringtone so they can recieve calls during lessons.[/QUOTE]

I'm yet to meet someone under 30 who definitely can't hear them.

jay clock

Massive member
I was shopping with my teenage daughters in Basingstoke - they could hear one of those devices near the lifts when I couldn't... made them want to move on which is the main aim

Night Train

Maker of Things
Mr Pig said:
Turns out my fourteen-year-old son has 'super' hearing.

Far ages he's been moaning about high-pitches squeals off of TV sets etc, basically stuff only dogs should be able to hear. He bangs the doors shut when we put the TV on, makes a big fuss about it, so after a trip to the GP a few months ago he finally got his hearing tested today.

He's got super hearing, way above what is normal. Doctor says he should be pleased! Going to start calling him Fido, he'll like that :0)
Put his breakfast in a bowl on the floor and make him go out for walks in the cold wearing a tartan cape.:biggrin:

I can hear very high pitch sounds too, really annoying faint sizzles and squeeks from electronic stuff and sometimes machinery. Probably not more then the normal 20khz-20hz range though. There is that very top range that I hear, then nothing, and then the usual range that most grown ups can hear.
I had my hearing tested as a teenager and I was told then that I had exceptionally good hearing for both volume and frequency range.

I seem to have hyper sensitive sense of touch and smell too.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
May the lord have mercy on him if he ever gets married.

Blonde

marinyork said:
I'm yet to meet someone under 30 who definitely can't hear them.

You can hear them and it's really horrible (and I am not under 30!). I have also heard the 'cat scarer' (which is supposed to stop them cr@pping all over the place) in several people's gardens. I don't know how they could stand around chatting in their garden and ignoring the noise - it's really unpleasant and just makes you want to go indoors ASAP.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I used to get really annoyed by the whistle off TVs (15.625 kHz) but I haven't been able to hear that for years - probably due to blasting my ears with loud music when I was a teenager.

I walked into a music shop in Manchester when I was about 30 and was almost pole-axed by a piercing tone which was at such a high frequency that it was felt rather than actually heard. I staggered over to the counter and complained about it. The manager apologised and said that the staff kept forgetting to turn off whatever it was (maybe an ultrasonic alarm of some sort?) because nobody who worked in the store could hear it...

Slim

Über Member
Is he still allowed on the furniture??

"Doctor Doctor, I keep thinking I'm a dog"

"How long have you thought you are a dog??"

"Ever since I was a pup" :ohmy:

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

ChrisKH said:
Get yourself a dog whistle.

Way ahead of you guys. I have a dog bowl, I've been calling him Fido and I'm going to buy a dog whistle! :0)

My wife was saying that the doctor came out and said 'Well. Here is a graph showing normal hearing. And this is Tristan!' The doctor said that his hearing was as good as it is possible for human hearing to be.

Great. But what can you do with that? There aren't any Olympics for hearing stuff. Like I say, he's just pissed off about the noise from the TV. I told him not to worry about it, just keep playing the drums and in no time at all your hearing will be knackered anyway! ;0)

Noodley

Now he has confirmed super powers should he not start wearing his underwear on top of his trousers?

Top Bottom