my sore bottom

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steve52

I'm back! Yippeee
i can now do bigger distances and enjoy doing 60/100 miles but find that as i start to feel really good at about 25/30 miles my sitting bits start to play up i have padded shorts use cream but all to no avail any sujestions for toughening up this bit of me?

vorsprung

Veteran
The only time I've had the symptoms you describe...a pain in the butt after only 25 miles...is when I got a new racing bike and used the saddle that it came with

The saddle was too narrow and had no resilience

I suggest trying a different saddle

repairtec

Find yourself a Turbomatic II saddle on eBay it was one of the most expensive saddles back in the late 90's extremely comfortable and used by the big names at the time. Note for the last 10 years its been fashionable to ride with the saddle high a bit like cars with 2 or 4 exhaust pipes, watch this years TdF and you'll note its going out of fashion, so is pedalling with the heel high, try lowering the saddle a bit so that the buttocks :eek: are flat across the surface of the saddle.

postman

Legendary Member
Could well be the saddle .Along with a few Chatters on here .I bought the Spesh Secreur Elite this year .I tried to ride with the saddle provided .I gave up in frustration put my Brooks on and oh so lovely .

But saddles are a tricky thing .What suits one is not for another .So try and quite cheap a CHARGE SPOON .

If you are doing 60-100 mile rides I don't think toughening up will be the answer, perhaps you should investigate a new saddle. I find a narrow one works best for me but we're all different so it might not be right for you. Specialized do a fitting session to determine the right width for you. I also like to vary my position on ride, standing up, sitting upright, etc.

Top Bottom