My Tandem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
After years of believing that tandems were owned by harmless eccentrics :rolleyes:, I decided to get one for myself.

My little boy loves it - especially when I take him to school on it.

It is an Orbit Libra - in terms of desirability, I have no idea of where it fits in the world of tandems. The 'sought after' bikes, appear to be made by other manufacturers such as Thorn, but I have to say, it suits our needs perfectly.

Tandem.jpg

Does anyone know of any organised bike rides, on which I could take a keen 7 year old on this tandem ? I'd be interested in anything in the West Midlands, North & Mid Wales, Cheshire & Gtr Manchester.

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
Did I mention that a tandem scalped me and the Langster in Cheshire last week? Harmless eccentrics be damned! :cursing:

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Did I mention that a tandem scalped me and the Langster in Cheshire last week?

Hi Al,

You seem to be getting in a fair mileage - I'm most impressed. For my part, I'm doing my usual training for this time of year - 12 miles once a fortnight, down to Maesbury Cafe.

I have to say, I'm seriously considering getting a singlespeed/fixie - to see what all the fuss is about.

Do you have a frame (project) on the go ? If so, what is it ?

Harmless eccentrics be damned! :cursing:

Well, I'm having these fitted onto the axles - just the thing to keep the road clear !

scythes.jpg

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Mrs Uncle Phil and I bought a tandem not so long ago. We actually agreed the deal way back in the summer, but we finally collected it a few weeks back. It's one of these (not the actual bike in the photo - that's one we borrowed from JD tandems for the day). It means that Mrs Uncle Phil can see where we're going, rather than spending the whole ride looking at my back. We love it!

She can also do all the signalling, read maps, wave at other cyclists with both hands... We're working up to having her knitting on dull stretches of road.

BothonPino.jpg

Oh yes, and despite all the touring kit, if we give it a bit of vim, it does go. We've collected a scalp or two already.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
we also have a tandem on the fleet , used mainly on short distance rides for my daughter and i .

nothing special just a nice raleigh venture plus 1

Butterfly

Veteran
After years of believing that tandems were owned by harmless eccentrics :rolleyes:, I decided to get one for myself.

My little boy loves it - especially when I take him to school on it.

It is an Orbit Libra - in terms of desirability, I have no idea of where it fits in the world of tandems. The 'sought after' bikes, appear to be made by other manufacturers such as Thorn, but I have to say, it suits our needs perfectly.

View attachment 4863

Does anyone know of any organised bike rides, on which I could take a keen 7 year old on this tandem ? I'd be interested in anything in the West Midlands, North & Mid Wales, Cheshire & Gtr Manchester.

The first tandem I piloted was an Orbit Libra that I with one of my charges. It was great fun!:smile:

We now have a Dawes 2Across, an Orbit Zodiac and a Dawes Super Galaxy Tandem. They aren't getting much use at the moment which is a shame.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I like the tandem!

I saw a father and young daughter team riding a similar tandem on two local audax events. I'm not sure if they were doing the full Spring Into The Dales and Season Of Mists - I suspect that they might have been doing the shorter sister events Leap Into The Aire and Mellow Fruitfulness. At any rate - the little girl seemed to be enjoying herself. I overtook them going up one hill and the little girl was riding no hands and reading the route sheet out to daddy. It was pretty cute!

I know you prefer Saturdays, so if 100 km wouldn't be too far, how about these events? (One is only a 50km event.)

If you can manage a Sunday, you'd have more choice (change the day setting in the drop-down box).

Mrs Uncle Phil and I bought a tandem not so long ago. We actually agreed the deal way back in the summer, but we finally collected it a few weeks back.

BothonPino.jpg
I like that too. What's the handling like? It looks like it might be a bit front-heavy but I like the design. I can think of a couple of people who would probably come out with me on one of them who wouldn't ride a conventional tandem or solo bike.

Was that picture taken at Burnsall?

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
I like the tandem!

I saw a father and young daughter team riding a similar tandem on two local audax events. I'm not sure if they were doing the full Spring Into The Dales and Season Of Mists - I suspect that they might have been doing the shorter sister events Leap Into The Aire and Mellow Fruitfulness. At any rate - the little girl seemed to be enjoying herself. I overtook them going up one hill and the little girl was riding no hands and reading the route sheet out to daddy. It was pretty cute!

I know you prefer Saturdays, so if 100 km wouldn't be too far, how about these events? (One is only a 50km event.)

If you can manage a Sunday, you'd have more choice (change the day setting in the drop-down box).

I like that too. What's the handling like? It looks like it might be a bit front-heavy but I like the design. I can think of a couple of people who would probably come out with me on one of them who wouldn't ride a conventional tandem or solo bike.

Thanks for the link, Colin. I can do rides on a Sunday . . . but I 'have' to take my youngster with me, cos my better half has 'her' day on a Sunday - for her own sporting acivities.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Thanks for the link, Colin. I can do rides on a Sunday . . . but I 'have' to take my youngster with me, cos my better half has 'her' day on a Sunday - for her own sporting acivities.
Ah, yes - I think you did mention that to me on a previous occasion but my memory isn't what it used to be!

I just looked at some of those weekend events and I'd say that AUK has a pretty loose definition of 'The Midlands'! From Maidenhead to Lincoln to Ruthin to Congleton! Still, there are a few events there that might be of interest.

Mrs Mickle has a Thorn (aquired many years before I met her) and rides it nearly every day - dragging a Burley. I've never been on it. Thorn with Rohloff and SON. Very nice, though it needs a re-powdercoat.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
What's the handling like? It looks like it might be a bit front-heavy but I like the design. I can think of a couple of people who would probably come out with me on one of them who wouldn't ride a conventional tandem or solo bike.

It's a bit like driving a bus - it handles OK, but it's not nippy or twitchy! No dodging potholes at the last minute.

It has the considerable advantage for the stoker that she can see where she's going, rather than having a close-up view of the captain's back and not much else. And of course, being recumbent, no saddle problems; there's even suspension at the front end. The advantages over two singles are as for any other tandem: no-one can leave the other rider behind, it's pretty brisk on the flat, and we can easily talk, even in noisy traffic, without having to yell or repeat ourselves ad nauseam. The stoker's hands are entirely free, so she can wave at passers-by with both of them (that always raises a smile, or at least an eyebrow). Or she can read a map (as long as it's not too windy or the road's too bumpy). We plan to try having her knitting as we roll, but that'll have to wait for warmer, non-glove-wearing weather.

Disadvantages? She has to have complete trust in the captain!

Oh, and yes, this was taken at Burnsall. We'd borrowed that bike from JD Cycles in Ilkley for the day. That's how we knew we wanted one.

Top Bottom