My Wheels Again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Eighth Man

The rear wheel on the road bike that I use to commute to work on has died and has a massive crack in the rim. The LBS are quoting £50 to rebuild it or £42.99 for a new wheel, has anybody seen a 700c to take an 8 speed cassette cheaper on the net?

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
£42.99 seems pretty cheap for a new rear wheel, what is it?

Otherwise eBay often have cheap wheelsets/ wheels on sale.

Wheels on eBay

What sort of wheel are you replacing? if the rear hub is reasonably good it may be better to have it rebuilt.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
If the hub is OK i'd have it rebuilt. Last time I had a rear wheel built on a 105 hub the hub alone was £70.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Although that was at the height of the recession- Shimano prices were high then, a similar hub I bought a year earlier was cheaper. I think they're about £60 now.

palinurus said:
£42.99 seems pretty cheap for a new rear wheel, what is it?

Otherwise eBay often have cheap wheelsets/ wheels on sale.

Wheels on eBay

What sort of wheel are you replacing? if the rear hub is reasonably good it may be better to have it rebuilt.

I thought that as well....I seem to have cheap wheels on the fixie and im not impressed...On the Audax there are wheels I had made up and they were more expensive but can deal with all the potholes in the gutter.:laugh:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
palinurus said:
If the hub is OK i'd have it rebuilt. Last time I had a rear wheel built on a 105 hub the hub alone was £70.

This would be my choice. For commuting a Mavic CXP22 rim would be bombproof.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Rebuild on my Fixed Formula hub was £90 - CXP 33 rim replacing one I had worn out and 'pot holed'............... the roads are shocking........... one wheel..... (new spokes etc...)..eek.........

Sort of justifies why I went hand built to start with....... into LBS...'erm I've broken your wheel' (in a joking voice) - LBS.......'no way, you've hit something'....... me...'yeh..a big pot hole...it's still true, but the rim is flared.....'..........

Good price for a rebuild if the hub is ok. You'll have a better wheel than a cheap new one.

Top Bottom